Prevent Requests From Being Resolved Without An Organisation

Justin Leslie December 2, 2019

Hi All 

I was just wondering if anyone knew if they could stop a ticket from being resolved with an organisation attached to it or request set against them. 

If this can be done please could you share the knowledge? 

I have tried adding a validator to the workflow and have added that if the fields "Organisation or Request Type" are not present then it shouldn't resolve, but for some reason, it goes ahead and resolves the ticket anyways? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2019

Hello Justin,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I have configured the required field validator in the transitions that go to the "Done" status in my test workflow and the validator has properly blocked me from resolve the issue before setting the Organization field, as you can see in the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 15.23.39.png

Please, allow me to describe the steps I took:

1 - Navigate to your project > Project Settings > Workflows > Click to edit the workflow respective to the issue types you want

2 - On diagram mode, click in the transitions that go to the status "Done" > Validators > Add Validator

3 - Click to add the required field validator > Make sure you selected the fields you want and clicked in the "Add" button, making sure the fields are displayed in the required fields column:

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 15.21.11.png

4 - Save your workflow draft

If the validator is still not working after performing the steps above, please check the following:

- Check if the fields you are setting in your workflow are currently added to the context of your project and issue type under project settings > Fields.

- Check if you selected the correct workflow related to the issue type you are performing the test

- Check if you selected the correct transitions in your workflow

- Check if you have published your workflow draft once you added the validator

Let us know if this information helps.

Justin Leslie December 4, 2019

Hi Peter 

Thank you for this, I really appreciate the help. My workflow works properly now and doesn't allow tickets to be resolved without an Organization or Request Type. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

You are welcome, Justin.

Have a nice day!

Deleted user October 14, 2020

Have the same requirement buy I don't see a 'Required Field' Validator?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2020

Hello @[deleted]

Are you using Jira Cloud?

The steps above are only related to Jira Cloud, as it's flagged in the question. 

If you are using Jira Server, you will need the add-on JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows to make that happen. For more details, you can check the article below:

Make custom fields required in a workflow transition in Jira server 

If you are using Jira Cloud, can you please provide us with the validators that are displayed to you?

Deleted user October 28, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves 

Our instance is Jira Data Centre

Deleted user October 28, 2020

is this not possible at all without a plugin?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2020

Hey @[deleted]

I'm afraid Jira Server/Data Center does not have the functionality to require a field to be filled in a specific transition as you need without using the mentioned plugin. We even had a feature request to include JSU functionalities as an inbuilt feature of Jira, however, it was decided by the responsible vendor to commercialize it as a separated app:

Make field required only for one state transition 

As the "organizations" field is locked, you can not set it as required using the field configuration as well, however, this same approach can work with some other fields.

Suggest an answer