Prevent Jira to change resolution when updating an issue

B March 19, 2013

Hi,

When I create an issue its resolution is correctly "unresolved" but if I try to update the issue, let's say to change the description, the resolution will be automatically changed and set to "Fixed".

How can I prevent Jira from changing the state of resolution while updating the issue?

Regards;

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

You should remove the resolution field from all Create/Edit Screens and only make them available on transition screens where the issue is resolved. If it's on the screen, it automatically set to its default value if you don't cancel the screen.

Henning

2 votes
David Land January 22, 2016

Is it just me or is this kind of bizarre behavior? The idea that simply adding a field to a view could have such drastic effects on your data seems like a bad idea. And you don't even have to edit the resolution field. You can open the story, edit the title, and if you save it with the resolution field showing the system will save the story as resolved. Not good.

Gunther De Cock December 26, 2016

The same reaction here, if you are going in Edit Issue, and the Resolution isn't yet filled, why than automatically change this towards a 'Fixed" or other value ?

Like Christian likes this
1 vote
Dave Lewis March 1, 2018

I'm with David Land. and Gunther.  Some issue get changed to "resolved" when a story is edited.  It suddenly started happening where it didn't before.  It doesn't happen to all issues, just some.  Yes, the edit screen has the resolution exposed (I'll shut it down), but I can create an issue without touching the default resolution (which is done) and it get's saved with unresolved, as expected.  So, I doubt making this change will fix it.  But I'll give that a try. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2018

>Yes, the edit screen has the resolution exposed

That is the problem.  You will find that after you've removed it, things will work fine.

Never put the resolution field on a screen other than a transition into "we've finished doing things with this issue" type status.

Dave Lewis July 26, 2018

Despite my skepticism, the suggested resolution did in fact work.  Thanks! 

0 votes
Krister Persson May 8, 2019

new odd behaviour. get rid of resolution on the edit screen and then you cannot edit in the default GUI. Strange.

Have it in an edit screen and it will change all the time, even if unwanted

Get rid of it from any screen and you CANNOT edit it`?

Pest or Cholera?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2019

That's not new behaviour, it's always done that.

You are not supposed to edit the resolution.  The point of the resolution is that you're done with the issue, and you're telling people why it is ended.  You should be getting the resolution right when you close the issue, and not have to worry about it again.  If the resolution is wrong, re-open it, and then close it with a corrected one.

Never put the resolution on any change screen other than the transition into a closed/ended status

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2013

how your updating the issue? if you are doing this by editing the issue, then check the resolution field will be added in this screen and it would have fixed is the default value

Suggest an answer