Prevent Jira & Confluence Internet connection attempts

CK1 February 29, 2012

Hi there,

we're currently evaluating Jira & Confluence for Intranet use.

Our Admin logged connection attempts to the Internet - Which is against policy.

My Question: Is this only the Plugin manager (which can be disabled: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Problems+Connecting+to+the+Atlassian+Plugin+Exchange) or are there other cases where Jira (5.0) or Confluence (4.1.6) try to connect to the Internet? ...And - how do I turn this off?

TIA

C.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2012

If it's against policy no doubt you have a corporate proxy. Therefore don't set up those tools with the proxy information, and it won't get out to the internet.

There are other places it will try to access the internet, eg confluence feeds, html-includes, jira news gadget, etc etc.

CK1 March 6, 2012

Yes, I thought so, too. But apparently the admin is in panic mode, since this installation is not 100% official. Therefore to many connection attempts could be a problem. On the other hand it came to me that could modify the hosts file and block the attempts right there.

But thanks for the answers...

Stephan Haslinger March 6, 2012

I have been using the hosts file to block the pluginmanager before the upm.pac.disable was introduced. Confluence should not access the internet for retreiving feeds or html-includes that are not whitelisted.

0 votes
Andrzej Pasterczyk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2012

There are probably other cases depending on your setup. I guess you could block outgoing connections from windows firewall (or some other way if you've got different OS).

Suggest an answer