Preparing for upgrade

Deleted user September 29, 2017

Due to some reason, our vendor didn't do any upgrade on jira server, so our team will be handling that once we go on production. Right now, this vendor still working on bug fixes on testing server.

I wonder what to prepare upgrade on production site - first backup (to a zip file?) , second upgrade (somehow?) , third -?

Do we require downtime at all ?  

Thank you in advance!

Quan

2 answers

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

Quan, not sure if you are running JIRA in a VM or not but its always a good idea to get a 'copy' of your production system and run the upgrade there first.  It will give you a good idea of the process and time to complete.  Additionally, if anything does go badly, you'll have time to fix it in a non-production system.

So nice to have your suggestion, Peter.  I will take your advice, go step by step.  I don't know our server team using VM or not, so I will clarify with them as well. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

Yes you need downtime, you can't upgrade a running Jira, as it replaces files.

Backup the database, the home directory and the installation directory somewhere safe.

Have a read of https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/upgrading-jira-applications-861253088.html before you touch anything though

Thank you, Nic.  I will do some homework and let my boss know as well.  Q

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events