Preparing for upgrade

Due to some reason, our vendor didn't do any upgrade on jira server, so our team will be handling that once we go on production. Right now, this vendor still working on bug fixes on testing server.

I wonder what to prepare upgrade on production site - first backup (to a zip file?) , second upgrade (somehow?) , third -?

Do we require downtime at all ?  

Thank you in advance!

Quan

2 answers

0 vote

Yes you need downtime, you can't upgrade a running Jira, as it replaces files.

Backup the database, the home directory and the installation directory somewhere safe.

Have a read of https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/upgrading-jira-applications-861253088.html before you touch anything though

Thank you, Nic.  I will do some homework and let my boss know as well.  Q

0 vote
Peter DeWitt Community Champion Sep 29, 2017

Quan, not sure if you are running JIRA in a VM or not but its always a good idea to get a 'copy' of your production system and run the upgrade there first.  It will give you a good idea of the process and time to complete.  Additionally, if anything does go badly, you'll have time to fix it in a non-production system.

So nice to have your suggestion, Peter.  I will take your advice, go step by step.  I don't know our server team using VM or not, so I will clarify with them as well. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,296 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot