In the JIRA instance we have, we create a master ticket for a project and all related tasks are bundled as sub-tasks. We are looking for a way to create and maintain a branch of pre-production quality issues which will link to the master ticket, but will be separate from the rest of the sub-tasks. Here is what we are looking for -
1) The pre-production issues need to be tracked in a separate task type (not sub-tasks, but children of main ticket)
2) These pre-production issues need to be connected to the master project ticket
3) The master project ticket view screen should have a separate section outlining only the pre-production issues. These should not be combined with the other sub-tasks.
4) While reporting, we should be able to get a count of pre-prod issues per project or average pre-prod issues per project.
Please let me know if there is any in-built or custom feature of JIRA that can be used to achieve this.
1) You can't have a sub-task that isn't a sub-task. Child tasks, sub-tasks, sub issues, doesn't matter what you call them, either you have sub-tasks or you don't. You need to decide whether you want this pre-production stuff to be a sub-task or not.
2) Depends on your decision in 1. If they're sub-tasks, they're linked by their very nature. If you decide not to use sub-tasks, then you create top-level issues and use issue-linking
3) Again, either it's a sub-task or it isn't. If it is, then they'll appear with the other sub-tasks. If they are not sub-tasks, then they aren't related so they won't appear (although if you use links, they will appear separately. As links, not subtasks)
4) Completely depends on how you enter the data
Thank you Nic for your answer.
If we create different types of sub-tasks (e.g. regular sub-tasks, pro-prod sub-tasks etc.), I think they all will get displayed on the View screen under sub-tasks section. Is there any way to customize this section on View screen so that we can add a filter to filter sub-tasks by type?
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot