Pre-filled fields upon "Create issue"

Chris Newton February 29, 2012

Hi,

I have not able to find this info anywhere.

Is there a way that we can have the Summary and Description fields pre-populated with a text template when an end-user clicks on the "+ Create Issue" button? We would want the text used to pre-populate in those fields dependent on the Issue Type (e.g. Bug, Story, Epic).

We used something like this in Redmine (https://github.com/otaviofcs/redmine-issue-template) before we switched to Jira. In that case we had to select the template we wanted to use and then insert it in.

I'm fine with the same functionality of that Redmine plugin, but it would be cool if the fields could be prepopulated.

Thanks!

-Rich

5 answers

3 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2012

Options are javascript to set a value if none exists, or behaviours plugin to do it.

Behaviours script example:

def summary = getFieldById("summary")
        if (! summary.getValue()) {
            summary.setFormValue("Summary template...")
        }

Richard Pringle January 17, 2017

@Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist]
I'm new to JIRA, where do I do this? (Feel free to point me to a documentation link)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2017
abakhach April 28, 2017

This is only available for scriptrunner server right? not for the cloud version?

abakhach April 28, 2017

which is odd, considering that this quesiton had jira cloud as a tag on it

Prasad Andrews July 30, 2017

@JamieA

can we also prepopulate the description in the subtask?

I want some content to be already there(prefilled) in the description field.

For example, can you have “Test” filled into the description field by default?

Cesar Duran June 29, 2018

I need caps to say THANK YOUUUUU JAMIE... I finally found the solution to populate the summary during the ticket creation.

Like Justin Rocchi likes this
1 vote
Anatoly Spektor January 2, 2020

The best way I found how to pre-populate is to create a Custom Field and add a Default Text to it. I don't think you can do it with Description.

I have recorded a short tutorial that goes over this: https://youtu.be/W875OzVROHc

0 votes
Eyal_Stoler May 13, 2018

Sadly, I've also looked everywhere and this basic option is missing in Jira. What I use instead is a simple chrome addon that with a few keystrokes does the job for me:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-text-expander-for-go/iibninhmiggehlcdolcilmhacighjamp

Screenshot 2018-05-13 09.57.51.pngScreenshot 2018-05-13 09.54.31.png

0 votes
mhenslee February 29, 2012

I'm using workflow post-functions to sort of do this without any plugins. It may not prepopulate the fields at the create screen, but once you create the issue those fields are populated via that workflow action. I would just omit those fields that need to be prepopulated from the create screen altogether and have the workflow fill it in. Later you can edit those fields through an edit screen or workflow function.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2012

Hrm, but you can't create an issue without a summary... also seems painful having to do a transition just to enter summary and description.

Suggest an answer