Pre-filled fields upon create issue for jira cloud

abakhach April 28, 2017

My question is a carbon copy of this one, however it's for jira cloud. I searched script runner and they don't have "behaviours" for cloud the same way they do for server. 

any tips?

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2017

I can think of a possible way to do this in JIRA Cloud with a combination of custom fields + post functions offered by JIRA Suite Utilities add-on.

It would rely on you having JIRA Suite Utilities enabled in your Cloud instance, which is possible (for free). Read this thread for info about that.

When I get a moment, I'm going to set it up myself in a test environment and see if it works.

If it does, I'll post the steps here.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2017

I found a non-scriptrunner solution works with the description field, if you have JIRA Suite Utilities (JSU) enabled on your Cloud instance. 

These are the steps:

1. Created a new custom field called 'Default Description'.
  2. Configured the default value of that field as required.
  3. In the create screen for my issue type, removed the system 'Description' field and replaced with my new  'Default Description' field.
  4. In the workflow for my issue type, added a "Copy Value From Other Field" post-function (provided by JSU) to the 'create' transition. Source field: 'Default Description'. Destination Field: 'Description'.

Now, when users create issues, they see the 'Default Description' field, pre-filled. They can leave as is, or edit. When they create the issue, the value is copied into the real desciption field.

To get different default values for different issue types in the same project is possible, but more work. It requires an seperate custom field with the default value for each issue type, and create screens and workflows configured accordingly.

Unfortunately, this approach doesn't work for summary, as JIRA validation requires the system Summary field to be on the create screen.

Suggest an answer