Pre-fill bug creation with URL

Paulo Matos August 13, 2014

Hello,

We are about to start using JIRA 6.1 soon. I would like users, if something bad happens with a piece of software, to be given a URL that will prefill most of the interesting fields in a bug report.

Is it possible to do something like this? Can I generate a URL that when clicked will create a new bug report and prefill most fields so that the user can then just click submit?

This is more interesting for us than using the REST api because I don't want to force the user to provide its login to the software or write it down on a file.

Best regards,

Paulo Matos

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2014

Hi Paulo,

This is possible!

Example:

https://<your-jira-server>/secure/CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=<project-id>&issuetype=<issuetype-id>&summary=Add+your+Summary+here...&description=and+describe+your+request+in+detail+here...

For more info about using URL for creation check out: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Creating+Issues+via+direct+HTML+links

Cheers,

// Svante

Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2014

Please note that if you put that link with summary and all required fields - the ticket will be created automatically without user interaction. If you wish user add some additional data regarding the defect - remove summary or some requred field to continue with the creation screen.

Paulo Matos August 13, 2014

Do you know if the values for, for example, versions can change at all? Or, lets say, valud id 10031 will always be for version 1.1_pre2 ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2014

ID of version, projects, issue types will never change. You can rename issue type, but ID will be the same (unless you manipulate them through database of course)

Chaithanya Bhadri July 21, 2016

I am trying to create issue using direct HTML links. Project and issue type pre-populates but summary or assignee is not populating. Any help is greatly appreciated. Below is the sample URL I am using....

https://XXXX.Jira.COM/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=11634&issuetype=3&summary=sample&assignee=MyNTIDHere

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2014

Maybe something like this:

<yourjirahost>/secure/CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=10000&issuetype=1&summary=&priority=1&duedate=14%2FAug%2F14&assignee=-1&environment=test&description=<p>test<%2Fp>

Please add proper issue type id and project id

Suggest an answer