Posting JIRA Issue comments to HipChat

Ben Wright July 3, 2013

We have JIRA/HipChat integration working well with our workflow transitions. I'd now like comments made on a bunch of our projects to automatically post to HipChat as well.

The problem I see so far is that

1. comments aren't workflow transitions, and so can't trigger the HipChat post function
  2. project notification schemes only include email as an option

Has anyone done this or have ideas on how to set this up?

5 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Wright September 19, 2013

Sure thing. We set up a web hook to HipChat "zap" in Zapier. We set a web hook up in JIRA and used the Zapier-generated URL as the destination. Back in Zapier, we used the following filter to catch the hook:

webhookEvent -> (Text) matches exactly -> jira:issue_updated AND

comment_body -> Exists AND

comment_body -> (Text) Does not contain -> #nohipchat

(We put that last line in there so that we had a mechanism to prevent comments from pushing to JIRA if we wanted to)

In the "Create Message" portion of the Zap, we formatted is as follows:

And it ends up looking like this:

Steven March 13, 2014

Thanks for this! Made setting up our integration quick and painless!

Ruly Tafzil May 8, 2014

Ben Wright, you are my angel.

Bob Teplitsky February 2, 2015

@Ben Wright Did you need to get the Go2Group plugin to make this work?

Ben Wright February 2, 2015

@Bob Teplitsky No we didn't. We are only using Zapier for this. And it's still working great! For some reason the attachments disappeared from the above post, but let me know if you'd like to see them and I'll re-post them.

@Ben Wright Thanks! Yeah, if you could post them that would be awesome.

Actually, I see two images. Were there more?

Ben Wright February 2, 2015

No, I only included the two images. Hopefully those are helpful. Let me know if you'd like to see more, but that should cover it as long as they show up.

Bob Teplitsky February 3, 2015

@Ben Wright Thanks Ben!

Thomas Peterson May 21, 2015

@Ben Wright Hi Ben, I got this working only to realise that every comment posted is a Zapier 'task', and it how they determine usage for their service. As such, I assume this is why '#nohipchat' is important in your solution?

Ben Wright May 22, 2015

@Thomas Peterson Good question. Actually, our reason for #nohipchat is because we often post chunky blocks text (terminal commands, long email strings for added context) to our JIRA issues. #nohipchat allows us to keep from unnecessarily "bombing" the chat room with unsavory text blocks.

2 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2013

Hi Ben,

have you tried this plugin Go2Group HipChat Plugin for JIRA. I don't know if it's available for your version of JIRA though, but its features include:

- Notify Hipchat post-function. This can be added at any workflow transition.

- Subscription to selected issue events, configured per project. Following are the events supported:

• Issue Created
  • Issue Updated
  • Issue Assigned
  • Issue Commented
  • Issue Deleted
  • Workflow Changes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2013

Another version of the plugin is ready to release which also include announcements. You can post announcements to Hipchat directly from JIRA. Same is now available with the Confluence,Fisheye,Bamboo,Stash plugins too.

Ben Wright July 10, 2013

Do you know whether this Go2Group plugin works with JIRA 6? The info says it's compatible with version v.5 and doesn't mention v.6.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

We have a new version that works with JIRA6. It is yet to be uploaded into marketplace. Contact support at go2group dot com if you want to try it out before it is uploaded.

1 vote
Asim Baksh July 10, 2013

Along the same lines, I'm looking to do the reverse.. I want a hipchat conversation to be linked or added as a comment in Jira. Is that possible?

Chris McKenzie October 29, 2014

Did you ever build a solution for this Asim? @Asim Baksh

Asim Baksh October 30, 2014

Unfortunately we did not.

0 votes
Ben Wright August 11, 2013

As a footnote, the Go2Group plugin for JIRA wasn't able to do quite what we were looking for, which was post the actual contents of our comments into HipChat rather than simply the status change. But we did figure out how to do this with Zapier.com thanks to an Atlassian blog post. We set up an appropriate "Zap" and are now able to see the contents of our comments inline and in realtime right in HipChat. Very nice!

Schedule Agent September 10, 2013

Could you educate the rest of us on how you did this... that blog post didn't really explain how to get comments to work. I don't see any "new comment" type options on our zap for this.

0 votes
Ben Wright July 11, 2013

Thanks, I will do that. I appreciate the help in the right direction.

Suggest an answer