Post Functions on create transition are shared over Workflows - But I need different post functions

nina.bluemel February 4, 2020

I am having different projects (for each client) in my Service Desk. Every Project has its own workflow. On the transition create I have some post functions to send emails.

For about four weeks I have the problem that as soon as I change a "send email" post function that in all workflows the set up is changing. This is a huge fuck up for us as some teams won't get a notification any longer about new created tickets in their project as the set up was overwritten by another project. 

Why does the post functions in other projects overwrite my other projects? Do I now need to add like 20 Post functions in each project to cover all cases across all projects or is there a better way?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

Based on what I read here I would say you have a shared workflow and that workflow has post functions and when edited then all projects/issuetypes sharing that workflow will be impacted. You will want to make a copy of the workflow and associate it to your desired project(s) and edit the post functions to meet your needs.

Hi Jack,

no I am definetly not using shared workflows.

I am coping them for a new project. There are always different scemes behind as well.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2020

Hi Nina, to satisfy my curiosity can you provide a screen shot of the following:

Jira settings > Issues >Workflows and find the workflow that you are editing?

Next, when you change a post function on one workflow have you actually gone in to view another workflow that represented an undesirable change? Have you done a before and after view of the workflow PFs to validate that in fact a change to the PF is occurring?

In order that I could develop a more complete picture in my mind, could you tell me what you are doing with the post functions exactly? Why and how are you sending emails? How is it different from a notification on create?

Workflows.png

These are some of my active workflows.

"Next, when you change a post function on one workflow have you actually gone in to view another workflow that represented an undesirable change? Have you done a before and after view of the workflow PFs to validate that in fact a change to the PF is occurring?"

--> Yes I viewed one and checked the post functions. They were correct. Checked the next workflow they were incorrect. Changed the post functions. Checked the first workflow again and the PFs were now incorrect and populated with the values I just added in the second workflow.

With the PFs I send an email during ticket creation to one Team or a specific person to inform them about a new ticket.

"How is it different from a notification on create?"

--> You mean in "automations" in the project settings?

If yes I cannot send an email to a specific person there only to the reporter and customer involved.

I hope this helps for the better picture :)

Suggest an answer