Post Function to copy a cascading filed value to summary filed with in the subtask

KRC November 21, 2017

Hi, I do have an ask and I think it is not doable before I conclude this I would like to ask our community.

In subtask form while creating a subtask, we have a cascading filed, users select appropriate parent and child data and moves on to next file, now I need that cascading data to be automatically carried over to the summary field of the same subtask. The reason is , the user has to select from cascading and as well as say the same in summary by typing in. Inorder to reduce this step, I need some automation. I see post functions and tried but it won't automatically copy cascading data to a summary filed. 

Any suggestions or workarounds?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexander
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hello KRC,

Natively, Jira doesn’t support what you are trying to accomplish with sub-tasks. However, there is an Atlassian Marketplace plug-in, Quick Subtasks for Jira, which might work for your need.

I see within the plug-in's features specification that "one may define pre-set subtask-templates for each project in the administration area or custom user templates. A workflow function allows to create sub-tasks from a given template when the designated workflow transition is triggered."

Hopefully that helps you get on the right path with subtask automation!
Alexander Beltz

4 votes
Johnson Wang November 28, 2017

Hey @KRC,

One other option for you is to use an add-on like Power Scripts, which could very easily do this subtask automation for you.

We've put together a quick 4 min video walking you through how to set this all up. We've also included the sample script we used so you can just copy and paste it to test for yourself.

Hope this helps!

Johnson

Sailaja_Ponnala July 4, 2022

Hi Johnson,

Could you please tell me i have a doubt if i have created parent ticket what were fields available should copy to child automatically . could you please suggest me.

Regards

P. Sailaja

Suggest an answer