Post Function - JIRA 4.4.5 - Unable to set custom field value after upgrade

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2012

Now that we have upgraded to JIRA 4.4.5 the post function to update a custom field to a specific value no longer works. Has the formatting changed? I am trying to set the value of the custome field to either Done or Not Done. A workflow exception is being thrown -

2012-05-01 18:59:23,702 http-8080-46 ERROR 1139x73088x2 g9ey2i 192.234.246.206 /secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] Caught exception while attempting to perform action 301 from workflow 131271 on issue 'HSMIS13-37'
com.opensymphony.workflow.WorkflowException: Unable to update custom field 'customfield_10180 - Development Complete' in issue [HSMIS13-37]

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2012
Yes, there have been significant changes in select list custom fields. Please read http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Plugin+Developer+Notes+for+JIRA+4.4#PluginDeveloperNotesforJIRA44-Single-andMulti-SelectCustomFieldChanges

E.g. Look at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41736/how-to-set-a-new-selectcftype-value-to-a-custom-field how the Option object now necessary in setCustomFieldValue can be retrieved

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

OK, so I need to use the database ID of the field value I want to set. How do I get the ID?

FYI - I am using a plugin to set the post function, not a script.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

do you use the Jira Suite Utilities plugin to update the custom field? If yes you should get the latest version compatible with JIRA 4.4 first. I think this kind of problem has already been fixed in 1.1.3

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

I am using the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin. I have the latest verion 1.1.3.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

i just checked the source code of JSU 1.1.3 and that should work with both option values *and* IDs. Do you have more information in atlassian-jira.log ?

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

2012-05-02 05:56:45,674 http-8080-41 ERROR charu_yadav 356x173899x3 1hu5a2b 192.234.246.206 /secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [jsu.workflow.function.UpdateIssueCustomFieldPostFunction] Unable to
update custom field 'customfield_10180 - Development Complete' in issue [DCTM-1784]
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No option found with value 'not done' for custom field Development Complete on issue DCTM-1784.
at com.googlecode.jsu.util.WorkflowUtils.convertStringToOption(WorkflowUtils.java:690)
at com.googlecode.jsu.util.WorkflowUtils.setFieldValue(WorkflowUtils.java:372)
at com.googlecode.jsu.util.WorkflowUtils.setFieldValue(WorkflowUtils.java:821)
at com.googlecode.jsu.workflow.function.UpdateIssueCustomFieldPostFunction.executeFunction(UpdateIssueCustomFieldPostFunction.java:76)
at com.googlecode.jsu.workflow.function.AbstractPreserveChangesPostFunction.execute(AbstractPreserveChangesPostFunction.java:59)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.executeFunction(AbstractWorkflow.java:869)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.transitionWorkflow(AbstractWorkflow.java:1265)
at com.opensymphony.workflow.AbstractWorkflow.doAction(AbstractWorkflow.java:567)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowActionInsideTxn(OSWorkflowManager.java:905)
at com.atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager.doWorkflowAction(OSWorkflowManager.java:865)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.transition(DefaultIssueService.java:505)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.transition(DefaultIssueService.java:513)

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

ok, that makes things clearer:

It looks like 'not done' is not a valid option for custom field 'Development Complete'. You should check that in the the configuration of your custom field. I'm afraid the option is missing so you should either add it or not use the option anymore in your post function but maybe just clear the field.

If the option 'not done' does not exists anymore you will also notice that you don't have issues with that value. Custom field values which do not correspond to any configured option are deleted during upgrade to 4.4. Maybe you can still find some hints regarding this in your log file if the upgrade is not too long ago.

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

Thanks Dieter, I believe it is now working as expected.

I appreciate your patience and help.

Suggest an answer