Possible tweak to JQL used for simple search?

David_van_Kemenade July 25, 2013

When a user performs a simple search for "searchtext", Jira performs a search with this JQL string:

text ~ "searchtext"

I have installed a plugin that also searches through attachments. Is it possible to configure a simple search to generate this JQL string instead?

text ~ "searchtext" OR issue IN havingAttachments("searchtext")

1 answer

0 votes
Mirko Skramusky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2013

Hi David,

an approach via plugin: add a custom JQL function for your search param. Add a custom field, which stores the searchable content of the attachments (be careful of the file size). The custom JQL function should now search in the custom field. For some documentation read this lines.

Unfortunately I think you cannot add such subqueries you mentioned as a custom JQL function.

Hope this helps!

David_van_Kemenade July 31, 2013

Hi Mirko, thanks for your suggestion. I don't think it will work in my case, because

• I don't know how to put content from the attachments into a custom field
  • The attachments can be large so it's probably inpractical to copy all the text into a custom field.

It would be so much easier to just change the automatically created JQL query instead.

Suggest an answer