Possible to manually add a BitBucket commit to JIRA issues?

George Irwin January 4, 2013

I forgot to add the Issue key to a commit message the other day. Is there any way to manually attach/link that commit to the issue in JIRA (as if I had included the issue key in the commit message)?

I know there are ways of changing the commit message through git, but the general rule of thumb is not to do it with commits which have already been pushed......

If this isn't currently possible, it would be a great feature to add!!

10 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2013

If a commit has been already "pushed" then you can't edit it (as far as I know). But JIRA DVCS connector can only sync commits which contains issue keys, but you might consider adding a commit with something like "to sync with JIRA".

All the best.

Thanks Razaq, but my goal is to get the changed code from the earlier commit to appear in the issue's comments. Unless I'm missing something, even if I perform another commit with the issue's key, the relevant code (from the earlier commit) won't appear in the issue as the new commit will not include the old changes....

Had a feeling this wouldn't be possible, but could it be considered as a new feature? It surely shouldn't be too hard to show a list of recent BitBucket commits and then link a commit - and the changed code - with a specific issue in JIRA?

Like Tushar Raj likes this
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2013

Would be great if you can submit a feature request in the DVCS Connector issue tracker. You might need to setup an account before you be able to.

Doing that now, thanks Razaq.

Brandon Ramirez March 15, 2013

+1 On that feature request. I can try to get my devs to link during the commit but people are certainly going to forget periodically.

Like Stefan Kopec likes this
Justin Greenwood March 17, 2017

+1 here as well. This is a real pain when you have previous commits that you want to associate with a ticket. Sometimes tickets are created after a fix is done to keep history after an emergency fix, etc.

Like # people like this
Shiyas Cholamukhath October 2, 2018

+1 here too.. same pain point as Justin mentioned

Mir Rayees November 29, 2018

+1 me too. I wrote wrong ticket number on commit and want to change ticket number

Blair Gemmer November 29, 2018

One thing that you can do is to simply amend the commit to have the correct ticket number. Pretty simple solution / workaround.

Jimmy_Ko July 31, 2019

It's not recommended to amend the commit message for those pushed to origin.

Markus Fischbacher September 18, 2019

I'd like to see that feature as well.

8 votes
ChangJoon Lee August 17, 2016

Please, vote here for this feature.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-14378

3 votes
Matias Goncalves January 14, 2019

When it happen to me, I add a link to the commit as a new comment in the Jira issue. I know it is not the best solution but I have linked the Jira issue with their corresponding commit....

1 vote
Steven Scheffler September 5, 2013

+1 here as well.

0 votes
blair gemmer March 2, 2017

You can use GIT to amend past commits. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1186535/how-to-modify-a-specified-commit-in-git

If you just need to change the message, use this link:

https://help.github.com/articles/changing-a-commit-message/

0 votes
blair gemmer March 2, 2017
Justin Greenwood March 17, 2017

Older messages have to be force pushed - in the link you provided, even, this is what they say, 

We strongly discourage force pushing, since this changes the history of your repository. If you force push, people who have already cloned your repository will have to manually fix their local history. For more information, see "Recovering from upstream rebase" in the Git manual.

Aleksei Kozadaev September 18, 2018

What Justin Greenwood said! If you screw the repo you can recover it with reflog, etc (not easy but possible), but you still can end up with bitbucket's view on the world is different from your local git repo. So really force-push is evil as it is and besides bitbucket is not always great in handling that

rakslice November 29, 2018

... and supposing you were in a situation where you could for some reason safely force push the repo without impacting other users, are you saying that the JIRA DVCS connector for Git would 1) even notice the change, 2) update the old JIRA issue to remove the commit, and 3) update the new JIRA issue to add the commit?

Blair Gemmer November 29, 2018

It should. I haven't had any issues with amending a commit and then pushing w/o force.

0 votes
daniloprates August 17, 2016

old issue, current need

+1

0 votes
rakslice February 26, 2014

FYI the feature request is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/DCON-256

0 votes
Gero Bazant January 20, 2014

+1 here as well!

0 votes
Gael Levavasseur December 10, 2013