Possible to make column constraints apply to quick filters?

Tobias Junsten May 22, 2013

Hi,

I have a kanban board with a column constraints of max 3 issues in progress. If I have more than 3 issues in the column the column turns red. The column stays red even if I apply a quick filter that only have 2 issues in the column. Is it possible to make the constraint sensitive to the quick filters so the column is not red when applying a quick filter that do not exceed the column constraint.

Regards

Tobias

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2013

Jan and Tobius, thanks for your responses.

Firstly, I can confirm that Quick Filters not affecting column constraints is by design.

The column constraints are currently per board which assumes a single team since this is the majority use-case.

It is quite easy with JIRA Agile to have multiple boards - one for each team - and also a combined board which could give an overview of all the team boards. The constraints on each teams' board would reflect their constraints but as you've seen the constraints on the combined board are not really usable since different teams would not normally realise a joint constraint for work in progress. This would seem to be a basic agile (WIP/kanban mostly) concept for a team but not for a group of teams. I can't see how the teams would benefit from that. An individual team should react to a busted constraint, would you expect them to switch and help a different team?

It's unlikely we'll change the Quick Filter behaviour here, but we are looking into ways to help team's plan better and have better visibility of assigned work.

1 vote
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2013

Seems like a good improvement for JIRA Agile. I have created GHS-9729 on the request. Feel free to watch it for any future updates.

0 votes
Tobias Junsten August 28, 2013

Hi Jan,

I have not found any solution/workaround except creating more boards.

/Tobias

0 votes
Martin
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2013

Tobias and Jan,

Why would you want to do this?

Using Quick Filters to avoid WIP or column constraints does not make sense and would essentially bypass them. The column constraint is set for a reason, to denote a minumum or maximum number of issues in a column (which are issues in one or more statuses).

Jan Müller August 28, 2013

Hello Martin,

in our scenario we have quick filters for persons and teams. Currently I have no way to see if a person or team is touching the defined constraints.

If I understand your reply correctly, the fact that the constraint is not affected by the quickfilter is by design?

I have to create a new board and switch between boards to be able to do that, right?

Using the quick-filters would speed up the process and lessen disctractions as it is applied instantly.

best,

Jan

Tobias Junsten August 28, 2013

Hi Martin,

I have sort of the same scenario as Jan. We have three teams that are using the same board. To see the tasks of the different teams we apply quick filters. The reason we want to use the same board is essentialy that when we do changes to the board we don't want to do the change three times. It is also easier for the people who want to keep an eye of the tasks' progress of all teams. Then they only need to keep track of one board and it is also easy to see all tasks for all teams if they want to.

And lastly just to clarify. It should of cause be optional to make the quick filter influence the constraints. Most of the time it makes perfectly sense that the quick filters do not influence the constraints.

/Tobias

0 votes
Jan Müller August 25, 2013

Hello Tobias,

I was asking myself the same question.

Did you find a solution / workaround for it?

best,

Jan

Suggest an answer