Possible JIRA and O365 issues?

Taylor Huston November 12, 2018

Hey all,

I am troubleshooting some email issues on a JIRA install. The mail server is O365, but I do not have access to it in any way, only JIRA via the UI (no direct server access yet).

When I configure the Email settings, the Test Connection works fine. I can also send test emails through that dialogue and they seem to work. But things like notifications are not going through. I was able to get a copy of the atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log file, and in it I am seeing a bunch of errors like this:

STOREDRV.Submission.Exception:SendAsDeniedException.MapiExceptionSendAsDenied; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Cannot submit message

When I google that error I am not finding anything referencing JIRA, but some Outlook related troubleshooting steps.

Has anyone came across that particular error in a JIRA context and can possibly point me in the right direction?

Taylor 

1 answer

1 vote
Henrique Bittencourt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2018

Hi Taylor!

You're right. Unfortunately, this error is Outlook-related.

Based on the error you can follow the instructions from Microsoft as this looks to be a configuration issue possibly.

As a user stated:

This applies to all email clients using smtp-mail.outlook.com to send email.  Sometime near the beginning of July 17, there was a change that disallowed you using a return email address that is not in your list of verified email aliases or connected accounts. In other words, you can't change the "From" field in emails you send to an anonymous email address.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Suggest an answer