Possibility of notifying users on create of issue by email in Jira

As I understand, when you set up a project that is used as a ticketing system and a user sends an email to the address the jira project picks up -The user is not notified of the issue created based on his default profile settings.

Is it possible to force this notification, regardless of his/her profile setting? I would like users to know which Jira task they to track after having sent the mail, or else the mail will go into a "big black hole" for most of our users.

3 answers

You can set system wide settings for users to be notified of their own actions, then let users opt out via their own profile. if a user makes that choice, then let them.

You can then use the notification scheme to send an email back to the original user via the Reproter field, assuming they are a user of Jira.

Yes, I wanted to aviod that. As we have other projects in Jira where the user does not want to get notified of their own actions. I wanted to force an "on create" email for this specific project only, without touching the user settings

Yes, I wanted to aviod that. As we have other projects in Jira where the user does not want to get notified of their own actions. I wanted to force an "on create" email for this specific project only, without touching the user settings.

0 votes

There is no way to override the user profile setting. You will have to either make an interaction on the ticket by another user (maybe by adding comments or pushing through a dummy workflow status change) or write a custom code to send a standard notification whenever the issue is created.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,080 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot