Possibility of migrating JIRA project to from one to another JIRA instance

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2013

Hi All

Here is my requirement :

Need to migrate a single project from one JIRA instance to another. I know, one way is to export all tickets to Excel/CSV and import in the next instance. I think in this case we will lose all comments and history.
Is there any better idea to migrate all issues with ‘Comments’ and ‘History’ ( only one project ) ?

Thanks, Vishnu.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Migrate everything and delete off the unwanted projects in the new server, that is the easiest and the fastest optio you have.

Otherwise you need to ensure every configuration is manually created on the destination server.

(and this is possible only if you are having an empty second server)

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2013

Well, I had this solution in mind. But, doesn't work here. As of now, we have more than 250 projects in JIRA. Also, if I do this way, will migrate all users/groups etc. That will be a security breach.

FYI, the second instance will be a fresh one. In fact, this will be at our client side. So need to make sure that I migrate only this project.

Do you say there is no other way ? I couldn't find anything yet :(. Saw some new future requests those are having very few votes.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2013

Thanks Renjith. Let me discuss with the client and accept one of these solutions.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Ah, no then you can't.

A project import can help some way to achieve this, still you need to take a backup of all the 250 projects, but restore only one project. And also this requires that the client JIRA version has to be exactly the same and some amount of configuration is needed to achieve this.

I agree, still it is a painful process :(

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

Suggest an answer