Portfolio live plan shows as overbooked when it should NOT be

Aaron McCullough April 4, 2016

I currently have all my teams setup w/ the correct sprint point velocity, and a release scheduled for a fixed time period. However, the timeline is showing up as RED and the release is showing as "overbooked". How can this be when I have more than enough resources to cover 5x the # of points?

Also, changing the velocity of the team does nothing to impact this. Is this a bug?

6 answers

1 vote
testrijder December 29, 2017

I only seem to be able to 'solve' this when I change the enddate of release X to be a day before the start of release Y. Which is weird as that means I have to end the release on a Sunday...???

So it seems portfolio doesn't take into account that Saturday and Sunday are marked as non-working days.

There is an issue reported that seems similar to this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-1756

0 votes
ben_weir April 20, 2020

I'm facing the same issue. I've set the "Stage sprint constraint" to off, I've set the weekly capacity to 9999 hours, the hours per day to 24 and I only have a few tasks for 1 day each in the sprint - and yet it still says overbooked. 

Is there an easier way to find the root cause of why something is overbooked?

0 votes
Falko Heymans January 19, 2017

For me the solution was the "" - in the configuration. It was set to on which caused the separate stages of a work item to be scheduled sequentially into separate sprints. With the setting changed to 'off' it works as expected for me now.

0 votes
Nithya Ananda October 23, 2016

I am facing the same issue.

I have one release which has 3 issues to be addressed.

The team has 120 hrs to do.

Cumulative estimation of the estimated work is 16 hrs.

But portfolio is showing estimated release date after 2 months.

Is here any issue with my configuration?

0 votes
Aaron McCullough April 4, 2016

@Peter Callies - unfortunately thats not it. I've changed that setting (and all other settings for that matter) and the dates NEVER change after recalculation. Leads me to believe they just don't work....

0 votes
Peter Callies
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

Aaron, my guess is that this has to do with the "Maximum assignees per story" configuration option of the plan.  If you have people assigned to your teams and the value of that field is less than number of people on each team, Portfolio will limit the amount of work that can be done concurrently.  I questioned this in another thread here somewhere.

Suggest an answer