Portfolio import -- how to filter to specific project?

rogersmj August 14, 2015

We're trying out Portfolio again, now that it has better support for Story Points. But we're running into an issue importing issues – we want to do it one project at a time at the beginning, and see how things line up before we import our whole backlog.

However, the filters available in the Import dialog are proving troublesome. There's no control for filtering by JIRA project (unlike the import Releases tool); when I put the project code in the "Contains text" search field in the upper right, it only returns some of the issues in that project (and how it determines which ones to return, we can't figure out). 

For example:

I enter "CDEX" (our project code), and some issues are returned, but not (for instance) CDEX-22.

If I then enter "CDEX-22"...then CDEX-22 shows correctly (and singly, of course).

How are we supposed to restrict imports to just one JIRA project? And why is the search field behaving so strangely?

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Barrows September 14, 2015

Hey bud, I am dealing with the exact same issue and can shed a small amount of light on these issues.

1.  The "Contains text" search field is searching the task title or supportive description NOT the project code. The fact that it pulls up CDEX-22 is probably because it's referenced in the description or some other metadata on the task.  I agree, Atlassian needs to fix this because it would drastically simplify finding tasks.
  2. Ha!  In trying to help you because we share a similar problem, I just figured out the issue.  This should easily work for you!  

1. Go to: JIRA > Project CDEX > Next to Open Issues click "switch filter."

2. Create a custom search filter that gets you exactly what you want (IE: All the epic, tasks, and Improvement level tasks for project: CDEX)  Be sure to remember what you name the filter like: CDEX Project - Epics Filter.

3. Now go back to portfolio > Import Issues > "Find Filter...." text field > Type the name of that filter you just created (IE: CDEX Project - Epics Filter)  It will pop right up for you so  now hit ENTER to activate that filter.  This should filter that behemoth of a task list and easily let you import what you need.  Hope this helps!  I've included below a custom search filter that should work for you.  Just remember in the parenthesis to list out any kind of issuetype that CDEX project has:

project = CDEX AND issuetype in (Task, Improvement, Epic) ORDER BY priority DESC, updated DESC
Brad kort September 20, 2015

I'm running into this same problem too. However, there isn't a "Find Filter..." text field. Other ideas?

Andrew Barrows September 22, 2015

When you log into Jira portfolio look to the top left for an import button after clicking it the click to add a filter text field will be at the top left.

Brad kort September 22, 2015

When I click on the 'Import Issues' button, I see a search box in the upper right with the words 'Contains Text' in it. It doesn't seem to search for a project's key though, just words in the issues' names. Am I still looking in the wrong place?

Suggest an answer