Portfolio for Jira: Red highlight on issue in scope view

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

Wracking my brain ... feel like I used to know this, but I can't buy a clue as to why or how to resolve whatever is being highlighted on a few issues in the scope view that have a red left border on the issue. I believe whatever is being highlighted is the cause for a violation in dependency error, but I'm having no luck identifying the issue.

Please help shed light on my (hopefully temporary) ignorance!

image.png

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2017

Hi Rick,

Those 2 issues might just be scenario issue. With the multi-scenario feature enabled, new scenarios can have multiple colors including red. Easy check would be the uncommitted changes button color. If it's red as well, then it's just the Scenario color.

Multiple scenario planning

Cheers,

Branden

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2017

Not sure I follow. If I make a change to a field within an issue, that uncommitted change is indicated by a small colored triangle in the upper right corner of that field, but doesn't highlight the left border as shown in my screenshot.

Red DOES happen to be the color of the one scenario that I have within this plan, however.

Oddly though, I cannot now recreate this. Some change I've made has caused the highlight as shown to no longer be visible.

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2017

Hi @Rick Crow

Changed fields are highlighted with a triangle, but issue that are new altogether are highlighted by the bar at the beginning of the row. 

So, it looks like the those issues in your screenshot are newly created issues in your 'red' scenario.

Hope that helps. 

Cheers,
Allard

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2017

When do the issues cease being new? The ones in my screenshot have already been committed/instantiated in Jira Software.

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
August 17, 2017

Hey @Rick Crow,

An issue remains 'new' (or a so-called scenario issue) from when it has been created in Portfolio, until it has been commited back to JIRA. Once it exists in JIRA it is no longer 'new'. 

From your screenshot it would seem that the Q5-1241, Q5-1577 and Q5-1292 have not been commited back to JIRA yet.

Try creating a new issue in Portfolio and you should see the bars showing up on that newly created issue. 

Cheers,
Allard

Rick Crow August 18, 2017

Allard, I understand and see that the color appears when initially creating a new item prior to committment. But those three issues, having issue numbers, had already been committed back to JIRA. 

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
August 20, 2017

Ah, yes. You're right, they have issue keys, so thay can't be new.

Perhaps you changed their ranking? That would also be highlighted in that way. 

Cheers,
Allard

Rick Crow August 20, 2017

Argh. So which is it? Does this highlight method indicate new, or changed? The orange triangle indicates a field change. Since the rank is not visible as a field, was this other highglight method selected to indicate rank change?

I scoured the web looking for any documentation of this ... does it exist?

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
August 21, 2017

[..] was this other highglight method selected to indicate rank change?

Yes. 

looking for any documentation of this ... does it exist?

Yes, see this page:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/re-prioritizing-work-items-828785253.html

Rick Crow August 22, 2017

Got it. Thanks. That was likely the case.

Suggest an answer