Portfolio Stages, can we use to assign different skills such as development, integration and QA?

David Markowski (DO NOT USE) June 22, 2018

So forgive me but I am struggling with the stages and skills in portfolio on how to use them properly.   Many of our backlog items require Development of 3 different types some require 2 of the 3, and everything needs QA and UAT testing.  

I'd like to use skills to determine the right people to work on stories based on the skills required such as regular development or integration work, but not both.   Is there a way to accomplish that? 

Also what's the difference between a stage and a step in the JIRA workflow?  I fail to see how stages are used effectively.  

All help is appreciated in advance!!  Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2018

Hi David,

I would recommend starting with just Skills only and then you can add Stages later once you're comfortable with Skills. But you definitely can have team members with multiple skills!

Stages and Jira Workflow steps are not related.

Stages would work like this:

• Stage 1 is development
  • Stage 2 is testing

That way the development stage is fully completed and not mixed up in estimation before the testing starts.

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer