Portfolio: Are "themes" only established within one plan?

Margie Johnson August 17, 2017

The company I work for develops products and sells services.  I would like to establish "themes" that answer the question "how should we be spending our time?"  I would like to measure all projects and products against those themes.  Right now, it seems I can only add themes at the individual plan level.  Is that correct?  How can I monitor total effort across all job types for one set of themes?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2017

Hi @Margie Johnson,

Themes are currently specific to plans. The Program feature currently in Beta (Portfolio for JIRA Server) is meant to aggregate multiple plans and reworking themes to better fit this new model.

Would love to hear more on what Themes would look like for you in programs. Would it be like the current theme report but scaled up to be cross-plans like shared teams would be? Would plan themes make sense or themes should always be global?

Cheers,

Thomas

Margie Johnson August 21, 2017

@Thomas yes, it would always be global in my instance.  Background:  We are a software development company (vs marketing with digital projects).  We invest in our products (non-billable) and we have specific customer enhancements that are billable.  We obviously spend some time on innovating, etc.  I specifically identified themes with my CEO to establish where we are spending our largest investments across all project types.  Currently, I don't have a use for themes within one plan.

Can you tell me when you expect the themes feature to available across all plans/programs?

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Thanks for the feedback @Margie Johnson and details on your use case.

Regarding an ETA, the Portfolio for JIRA Server team is not able to provide an estimated timeline for themes improvement.

As a workaround, would using labels or components instead work for you?

Margie Johnson August 22, 2017

Perhaps!  I hadn't thought of that.  I'll give it a whirl.  Thank you.

Suggest an answer