Portfolio 2.0 story ranking not displaying correctly in the plan

Deleted user June 28, 2017

I am trialing Portfolio and have created a product plan for one product board. I created and linked Intitiatives, Epics and Stories and the plan looked good. I have then added a story (feature) ticket and a bug ticket, neither of which are linked to an Epic. No tickets have any dependancies at this point in time but for some reason the new feature ticket that is not linked to an Epic is showing in the Scope list with a priority number of 7 but in the plan view it looks like it is the 4th highest priority. All tickets have the correct story points to be rated above this in the plan. Basically my plan is not reflecting the priority order showing below it. Does anyone know if this is a bug or if there is something in the config that would explain this?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user June 29, 2017

Thanks Steve,

The velocity is 10 points. Tickets 1-3 total 7 and all of other stories are 3 points each. So this isn't the reason why it selected the later ticket over the next one in the prioritised list. 

I had added a version, same one to all tickets, recalculated and then submitted the changes but for tickets 4 & 5 the version did not update in Jira. When I added the version directly in the Jira ticket and then went back and recalculated the plan it did look correct, so I am assuming that this is the reason why. But as I cannot work out why Jira did not update with the submitted changes on only 2 tickets soIam going to retest today.

Thanks for your help though.

Many thanks,

Tracey

0 votes
Deleted user June 28, 2017

What do you have for the velocity in your plan?

Portfolio will put tickets into sprints based on:

• Release date (or priority if you don't select a release date)
  • Story point size
  • Team's capacity

Say your velocity is 15.  Tickets 1-4 are 3 points each, ticket 5 is 5 points, and ticket 6 is 2 points.  It will put tickets 1-4 in the next sprint because they total 12 points, which the team has capacity to do.  But it won't put ticket 5 into that same sprint because that would put it at 17, which is above the capacity.  Instead it will put ticket 6 in and save ticket 5 for the sprint after that.

My guess is the tickets in your plan reflect something similar to the above.

Matan Levin June 7, 2018

Hey Steven - is there a way to disable that behavior? Meaning, is there a way to enforce ticket 5 to be put into the next sprint along with tickets 1-4, and just flag it given the team has a lower velocity than the total amount of story points per that sprint? 

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events