Populating more options to dropdown fields on Create Issue page.

Anurag N June 10, 2013

Hi,

How can I add more options to some of the dropdown fields on the "Create Issue" page ?

Can someone having administrator role do that?

Thanks

7 answers

0 votes
Anurag N June 11, 2013

Anyhow, I will try to get System Admin role, and then see if I can make the required modifications.

In the meantime, if you discover any new information, then feel free to share.

Thank you Nick and Ramiro for your assistance!

0 votes
Anurag N June 11, 2013

I pasted a screen-grab in my last post. Let me know if its not visible.

0 votes
Anurag N June 11, 2013

Hi Ramiro,

This is interesting. I went through the "list of exclusions" (see link below) for JIRA administrator, and I did not find anything related to modifying field values. So, I thought that JIRA project admin can make these changes.

link for list of exclusions for JIRA Admin:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions#ManagingGlobalPermissions-sysadmin

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2013

In that case it's like @Nic said, you are project administrator not Jira System Administrator... You can only add values if you have the system administration permission on global permissions...

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2013

Hi Anurag, try going to Administration --> Roll down to 'Issues' section --> Search for 'Fields' sub-section and then click on Custom Fields.

There you will see all the fields listed and search for your field. I use ctrl+f and put the name of the field in order to find it easily...

Anurag N June 11, 2013

Hi Ramiro, I do not see "Issue Section" after clicking on administration on the top right corner. Instead I see list of Projects. Further clicking on any of the projects, I see page which has a menu on the left panel - containing summary, IssueTypes, Workflow etc.. This page also has small detail for each item (summary, IssueTypes, Workflow etc..).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2013

Kewl, 5.2 - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Configuring+a+Custom+Field

Quite long, but there's a section in the middle to head for - called "Options".

Anurag N June 11, 2013

Hi Nic,

I had seen that document before. It says "Choose Administration at the top right of your screen. Then choose Issues > Fields > Custom Fields (tab) to open the 'Custom Fields' page"..so forth and so on.

In my case. as I click on Administration at the top right of my screen, then all the projects (for which I have admin rights) appear. I then click on the designated project. Next, I see a page which has a menu on the left panel - containing summary, IssueTypes, Workflow etc.. This page also has small detail for each item (summary, IssueTypes, Workflow etc..).

However, I do not see any option as mentioned in the instruction of the link sent by you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2013

Um, why are you clicking on the project? The documentation says to click on Administration, then Issues > Fields > custom fields. Not Administration then project.

Anurag N June 11, 2013

After clicking on Administration, I do not see any options to click on "Issues > Fields > custom fields". I just see Projects!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2013

It's the menus at the top.

Or, when you click "Administration", it should take you to a list of all the admin options. Which includes fields.

Unless... you aren't a system administrator, in which case I think you do just get a list of projects?

Anurag N June 11, 2013

This is what I see after clicking on the administration on the top right corner. After I click on any of the projects, I see page which has a menu on the left panel - containing summary, IssueTypes, Workflow etc.. This page also has small detail for each item (summary, IssueTypes, Workflow etc..).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2013

Stop clicking on "project", it's a step in completely the wrong direction, and there's no point describing what you're getting there because you've gone down the wrong path.

There is no attachment, sorry (Answers does this - you try to upload a picture, it doesn't tell you it has not worked)

Now, let's step through this carefully.

• Go to your jira dashboard
  • Click Administration at the top right
  • Do NOT click on any projects.
  • Press CTRL-F to get a browser's search box
  • Type in "Custom Field"
  • If you find it, click that, not projects
  • If you don't find it, then you are not an administrator and you need to talk to the poeple who are to get yourself added.
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2013

It's mostly an administrator's job.

Components and versions can be maintained by project administrators (they also maintain user lists, so reporter and assignee can be affected by them). The other drop-downs are for your system admins to maintain.

Anurag N June 10, 2013

Thank you for your response Nic.

So, do you mean that only system admin can modify field values on the "Create Issue" page ?

If not, then what steps should an admin follow to add options to dropdown fields - my orignal question.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2013

That is what I said, answering your question. You need to be an admin to edit the lists of options (except for components and versions, which is down to project admin)

Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2013

what version of JIRA are you running? Is it an older version?

Anurag N June 11, 2013

Thanks! I have an admin rights, but I am not aware how to make those changes. I have browsed through several docs in order to understand the steps involved, but could not figure that out yet. I thought it might be cus of my role, but as you mentioned that as an admin I could edit the lists of options, so there is something which I am missing here.

In some of the JIRA documentation its mentioned that "Choose the cog icon at top right of the screen, then choose Issues". However, I do not see the cog icon, instead I see Administration link on the top right corner.

Let me know if you have any comments on this.

Anurag N June 11, 2013

Jo-Anne - Its 5.2

Suggest an answer