Populate custom field from 'create issue' menu

Jordan Johnson March 21, 2016

image2016-3-21 15:5:31.png

Is there a way to automatically update this custom field for all following issues? When creating a new project this field will initially be blank. We just want users to be able to set a Project ID once for each project, and have all subsequent issues auto-populate with this value. Does Profields allow auto-populating?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

I think you can do this natively  by just allowing JIRA Project/System Admins to update this custom field either by:

• Adding a "Context" to a certain custom field so that a custom field will be different for each JIRA project
  • Use another system field, like Category
  • Restrict updating this certain field to a particular transition only to certain project roles.

Jordan Johnson March 21, 2016

Thanks! So we'd need to add a new context for every project since this custom field value will be unique for every project. Is there a limit on the number of contexts you can have before I starts to affect Jira's performance?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

I'm not sure if there's a hard limit. I'm using this feature a lot and I have a lot of custom fields which have contexts and I have seen no performance issues.

Suggest an answer