Populate custom field from 'create issue' menu

image2016-3-21 15:5:31.png

Is there a way to automatically update this custom field for all following issues? When creating a new project this field will initially be blank. We just want users to be able to set a Project ID once for each project, and have all subsequent issues auto-populate with this value. Does Profields allow auto-populating?

1 answer

1 accepted

I think you can do this natively  by just allowing JIRA Project/System Admins to update this custom field either by:

• Adding a "Context" to a certain custom field so that a custom field will be different for each JIRA project
  • Use another system field, like Category
  • Restrict updating this certain field to a particular transition only to certain project roles.

Thanks! So we'd need to add a new context for every project since this custom field value will be unique for every project. Is there a limit on the number of contexts you can have before I starts to affect Jira's performance?

I'm not sure if there's a hard limit. I'm using this feature a lot and I have a lot of custom fields which have contexts and I have seen no performance issues.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

465 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you