Populate a field on subtasks from the father's issue information

Vasilis Gennaris December 13, 2017

Hi all,

I will give a brief of my structure so to explain my issue. I have four projects that each of which belongs to one company's product. Each of them has its board. 

Because i don't have cross-functional teams i created a fifth project that contains the design and front-end boards and backlogs. I only create issues at the first four projects and i have created a required custom field that is called "Board View" and from there you can choose the board that you want each issue to be shown through filtering.

The question is that i don't want to add to subtasks of each issue, every time i create a new one, the field "Board View" but i want to pre filled it through the father issue that belongs to so to be able to see them also on board or at least somehow to be able to see it on board even without having this field filled. Any suggestion?

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

Hi Vasilis,

out of the box, this is not possible. You have to use an app for that purpose.

We use the "Jira Misc Workflow Extensions" for that. It comes with a workflow function "Copy field value from parent issue":

image.png

Add this function to the "Create" transition of your subtask's workflow.

There may also be other apps on the marketplace with such a function.  

Suggest an answer