Plugin Duplication

Vickey Lepcha January 18, 2016

Hi,

I could not find some old plugins that I wanted to install in my new JIRA Environment - so what I did was picked up some jar files of the plugin from the existing JIRA file system and placed them under the plugins/user-installed directory - and then the plugin showed up in my new JIRA instance too in disabled mode which i enabled.

IS THIS A BAD PRACTISE ?

Only reason I did this was because I couldnt find those plugins anymore in marketplace.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2016

Yes, it's terrible practice.

The "universal plugin manager" is aware of compatible versions of add-ons, as listed on the marketplace, and it does not offer you versions of add-ons that are not compatible with your system.  I suspect that's what happened here. 

Just because an add-on loads and enables ok in a version flagged as incompatible does not mean it works.  You should never use incompatible add-ons.  (Well, ok, you can, but never without a full round of thorough testing in a test system)

If this is what has happened, I strongly recommend that you immediately remove all the add-ons you have installed this way.  Then do the research on why you couldn't see them in the marketplace properly.  They could be quietly destroying your data, so make sure you hang on to the backup you took before you did this.

Vickey Lepcha January 19, 2016

I guess so - plugins that are enlisted in 6.3.4 marketplace do not seem to be listed in 7.0.5.

Suggest an answer