I could not find some old plugins that I wanted to install in my new JIRA Environment - so what I did was picked up some jar files of the plugin from the existing JIRA file system and placed them under the plugins/user-installed directory - and then the plugin showed up in my new JIRA instance too in disabled mode which i enabled.
IS THIS A BAD PRACTISE ?
Only reason I did this was because I couldnt find those plugins anymore in marketplace.
Yes, it's terrible practice.
The "universal plugin manager" is aware of compatible versions of add-ons, as listed on the marketplace, and it does not offer you versions of add-ons that are not compatible with your system. I suspect that's what happened here.
Just because an add-on loads and enables ok in a version flagged as incompatible does not mean it works. You should never use incompatible add-ons. (Well, ok, you can, but never without a full round of thorough testing in a test system)
If this is what has happened, I strongly recommend that you immediately remove all the add-ons you have installed this way. Then do the research on why you couldn't see them in the marketplace properly. They could be quietly destroying your data, so make sure you hang on to the backup you took before you did this.
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.Save your spot