• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Please validate and verify the issue with Burndown chart -Planned estimated efforts, Effort spent and Remaining efforts’ values are not captured/updated accurately, that is the issue in burn down chart in Jira?

Please validate and verify the issue with Burndown chart -Planned estimated efforts, Effort spent and Remaining efforts’ values are not captured/updated accurately, that is the issue in burn down chart in Jira?

Nazeer January 30, 2014

8 answers

0 votes
Nazeer February 4, 2014

Below is one of the scenarios for the issue in burndown chart;

What we missed in our initial planning was creating of testing subtasks in parent issue but one can argue subtasking anyways hasn’t happened for stories.

Ideally a task should not have estimated effort >1d which helps in measuring progress. Is it so?

Additionally total effort for a parent story should also consider effort for testing the feature which again need to be estimated during planning meeting based on the scope, complexity of feature.

Please let me know your suggestions.

0 votes
mwarton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2014

Hi Nazeer,

Not sure I completely understand your question, but you might want to look into burn up charts instead of relying on burn down charts.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2014

Yes. I'm not sure how that's relevant though. Look at how the issues have been changed and work logged against them.

0 votes
Nazeer January 30, 2014

But in JIRA; date/time of a History entry matches that of when it was created. However, the date/time of a Work Log entry matches that of when the work was conducted.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2014

You can choose "adjust remaining time" in the worklogs, and/or edit the time in the edit screens.

0 votes
Nazeer January 30, 2014

Thanks much, Nic.

Please eloborate on "adjusting the remaining time directly."

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2014

Looks like people have been adding/removing things in the sprint, and/or adjusting the remaining time directly. I'd recommend finding the issues that are causing the spikes and working out why they've been doing it

0 votes
Nazeer January 30, 2014

Is it a configuration issue?

Suggest an answer