Please enter the date in the format "d/MMM/yy" error while importing dd/mm/yyyy

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2011

I have this error whilte trying to importing date calendar picker from csv file

An error occurred while attempting to import value '30/04/2007' into the Custom Field 'Delivery Date'.
com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.FieldValidationException: Invalid date format. Please enter the date in the format "d/MMM/yy".

how to modify the date format of the custom calendar picker that i am using without modifying CSV and keep the format dd/mm/yyyy

or anybody have another solution please tell me how to fix this problem

4 answers

2 votes
flaviolimas January 14, 2019

I had this problem and was able to save when entering the month as upper case 14/JAN/2019

1 vote
Nedim Barut January 24, 2020

I had a similar problem when I was trying to open a new ticket in Jira. After several trials and errors, I realized it was due to different language selection for Jira and my local device settings. In other words, try entering the month part in your local language, in English or any other language you may be using and that may solve the problem.

Example: When I selected the date from the date selction button, it inserted the date as follows: 25/Jan/20

Then I received the error stating the format was not correct.

I solved it by changing the month part to my local language abbreviation, which was 25/Oca/20

Umit_Celikel January 29, 2020

Sağolasın Nedim.

1 vote
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2011

Also, you might want to check out how to change the date format in JIRA:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/__date+and+time+formats

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2011

Hi jeremy

"date.import.format" : "dd/MM/yyyy",

is this the right format?..it is not provided in the link

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2011

The CSV importer specifically and clearly asks you what format you want to import dates in when you run it. Make sure you enter the correct one.

The only caveat here (which is also stated in the documentation) is that ALL your dates in the CSV must be in the same format. There is no option to have two different formats in different columns, they must be the same.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2011

Hi Nic

I inserted for Date format in import file: dd/MM/yyyy

and i am sure in my CSV all column have the same forma dd/MM/yyyy for all the date

still i am getting An error occurred while attempting to import value '11/4/2007' into the Custom Field 'Delivery Date'.
com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.FieldValidationException: Invalid date format. Please enter the date in the format "d/MMM/yy".

please correct me if i am wrong 11/4/2007 should i use other than dd/MM/yyyy?

thank you for being kind

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2011

I'm not sure what you mean by "import file". Can you confirm that you are entering dd/MM/yyyy into the screen that asks you for the date format when you do the import? The error message you are getting implies that you are not.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2011

the language I am using English (United States)

i am confirming that while i am importing that i am using dd/MM/yyyy instead of the default yyyyMMddHHmmss

I am using jira-importers-plugin-2.7.5.jar to import from CSV

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2011

Try adding a 0 in front of single-digit days or months, like 11/04/2007.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2011

Ok, I've been playing with it. I can get that error if my CSV contains data that is not in the right format. That's the wrong error message - it really should be saying "your data is incorrect", but I've no problems importing with dd/MM/yyyy once I correct all the data.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2011

I need to fix the CSV file

i will add a 0 in front of single-digit days or months, like 11/04/2007.

I will come back soon

Suggest an answer