Permissions

Samantha Butler April 23, 2018

Hi,

I am new to JIRA.

As our admin person, I have created x2 projects and have added people to these that I want to have access to them.

Is this the correct way to give these people permission to the projects?

My team say they cannot see the projects in their projects list.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2018

The best way to grant access seems a little more complex than you would think, but it gives you huge power and flexibility.

There are two layers:

Project Roles:  Tell you who is in what role in a project (e.g. Nic is a developer and an admin, Alice is a product owner, Bob a developer and Chuck a developer and a tester.  Then we've got a group called developers who are all developers as well)

Permission scheme:  Tell you who can do what in the project.  They are a set of access rules effectively.  It lets you use dynamic-roles like assignee and reporter, but the main usage should be done with project roles.  That gives you things like "developer and product owner can create issues, developers can resolve issues, testers can close them" and so on.

Once you've got that, the thing to look at is the rule for "Browse project" - a person must have that permission to be able to see the projects.  Your users do not have it.  So check the permission rules and adjust them, or the membership of the roles, so that they do get browse (and other permissions as appropriate)

Samantha Butler April 26, 2018

Thank you, this was very helpful. Much appreciated.

Suggest an answer