Permissions to Approve and View, but not to open?

Matt Shursen December 20, 2018

We have an initiator team (We'll  call them Team A) that opens tickets.  A second team, Team B, Will approve the tickets for more work or send the ticket back to team A for more information.  If the ticket moves on, Team C completes the work, or sends it back to team A for more information.

The issue is with Team B - they can be... overzealous sometimes, and we want them to be able to see the tickets from Team A, and approve them, but not much else.  Our concern is that they will spam Team C with tickets and then demand updates on all of them.

Is there a way to set up the queues/permissions so that Team B can 
1) see the tickets from Team A
2) Approve them and change status
3) NOT see the ticket other than that?

From what I've seen how Jira works, that can't be the case as "Why would you give someone permissions to approve if they shouldn't have higher privileges? "

I'd love some thoughts on this and I've already told Team C "Probably not in the cards..."

2 answers

0 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2018

While you may not be able to restrict access to specific queues without an add-on, you can use Issue Security Level Schemes to set permissions on specific issues. If you have an automation (we use Automation For Jira) then you can set specific issue types or any other identifying feature to automatically set this level.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-level-security-861253265.html

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2018

I don't know how it could be done. With workflow properties you could keep team B from editing them after the approve transition. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/workflow-properties-828788054.html

Matt Shursen December 20, 2018

Would that restrict permissions to other queues?
I want Team B to be able to see the ticket in the specified queue, and move it / reject it, but after that, not really.

Can I restrict views on specific queues?  

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2018

If you use the same workflow for issues in multiple queues it wouldn't help.  You may be able to do it with a field indicating the team and a script.  I don't use scripting so I can't help with that.  

Suggest an answer