Permissions required for Bulk "Transition Issues"

Amruta Kudale June 5, 2017

Hello,

I am added in the globle permission group group. But I am not able to select the Transition Issue operation in Bulk operation. It shows N/A and gives a Note mentioning "You do not have permission to perform a bulk transition on the selected issues"

I am not sure which other permissions I need to perform the bulk operation.

I also tried bulk operation only on same project issues but I am getting the same error note.

Please help.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2017

Bulk edit is just "do something to many issues".  It does not grant you extra permissions just because you are using bulk edit, it is just about doing something to many issues.

The problem you have is that you do not have permission to perform whatever the action is on one or  more of the issues you are trying to act on.  Try going to one of the issues on its own.  You will find you can't do the transition there either, and that's what is blocking the bulk-edit.

Yes I understand and that is true, I am not able to do transition for a single issue either. How do I troubleshoot this? I am new to Jira so I have no idea of how should I proceed.

The workflows for different project was set up by another person so I don't know the way he has set it up.

The main problem we have is that many issues that are in Done state we are not able to Close them. Even though the issue is Done they keep apperearing on the dashboard under Open Issues.

Please could you help me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2017

Ah, ok.  Start by forgetting the bulk-edit - that will work fine when you get the base permissions correct.

To solve this, you will need to log in as an admin, go to the project that the issues are in and work out what workflow is in use for them.  The project admin screens include a section detailing the "workflow scheme" which tells the project which workflow each issue type will use.  Find the appropriate workflow and click on it.

You will now be able to see the defintion of the workflow.  Find the "done" status, and look at the arrows/transitions out of it.  Click on them and look at the "conditions".  That will tell you who can do what.

However, you say

"Even though the issue is Done they keep apperearing on the dashboard under Open Issues"

That makes me think that you have a workflow that has a "done" status, but does not add a "resolution" value to the issues when it gets there.  JIRA treats an issue as "open" if the resolution is empty, and "closed" if there is any value in the resolution field (it does not care about status).

Have a look at one of the broken issues - does it have a "resolution" that is NOT Unresolved ?

You are correct there, I don't have single issue that has resolution as resolved, all of them are Unresolved.

Also there is no condition or resolution value for the Done state.

Please could you tell me what condition can I add for Closed transition. And how do I fix the Unresolved resolution issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2017

Ok, there's two parts to this.

First, fix your workflow so that issues are resolved correctly.  There are two basic options here:

If your users do not care about resolution and don't want to use the field, then put a "update field" post-function on the "resolve/close" transition(s), setting the resolution to something sensible ("fixed" is a good default)

If your users do care about resolution, then add a "resolve issue" screen on the "resolve/close" transition(s).  Make sure the screen selected includes the resolution field.

That stops more issues going wrong, and gives you a route to fixing the existing broken ones.  So:

Second, search for all the issues that have "resolution is empty and status in (done, closed)", or whatever the broken ones are.  You now have several options

• Transition them back to open, and then back through a transition with the screen or post-function as above
  • Find an add-on that lets you set the resolution (Script-runner has a "canned" function for it)
  • Create a temporary transition in your workflow that goes from closed to closed and includes the post-function to set the resolution
  • At a quiet time, make a *TEMPORARY* change to the issue edit screen.  Add the resolution field.  Use bulk edit to set the resolution.  Remove the resolution field from the screen.   Do NOT forget to remove it.  Having the resolution field on the edit screen is the most common mistake people make that trashes their data.  I can't emphasise enough that the field should only be their TEMPORARILY
Like hbhardwaj3 likes this
Amruta Kudale June 6, 2017

Thank you so much Nic. Your suggestions did help me to fix the workflow. There were many discrepancies in the existing workflow, for which I created a new workflow and used it for few of the projects. 

But would like to ask you, if changing the workflow is a good solution for the for the unresolved with done issues?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017

It can be, it depends on what you want to go into the history.

Amruta Kudale June 6, 2017

I think no one is really paying attention to history in my team, as long as the issue workflow is working fine. 

I highly appreciate your help. 

Thank you once again Nic. :)

10 votes
K Aylor November 13, 2018

JIRA is incredibly over engineered, unintuitive and overly complex. Just reading the answer to a simple problem is absurd.  

Dmytro Fediichuk November 3, 2020

+

Suggest an answer