Permissions - Jira

David Kiellar September 26, 2012

So I have gotten pretty familiar with Jira Administration. I have a question about setting up permissions.

I am a Jira System Admin. I have three projects created. I have two groups for each project, users and admins. I want to set it up so that say people is admin_project1 can only admin project 1. Is this done with permissions schemes?

I have a default permissions scheme that uses project roles to assign permissions. My two roles are admin and users. How do I set this up correctly, I am a bit confused.

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

Use projetc role "Administrators" in the permission scheme to admin projects. Go to the individual projects and add admin_project1/admin_project2 group under Administrator role depending on which project you are in.

In short, use roles in the permission scheme and add groups in to those roles in the project.

Would I create a a different permission scheme for each project?

So I have a user John Smith in a group called Admin_CNS. Under the CNS project I added Admin_CNS group to the role of Project_Admin. I have a default permission scheme that has the role projec_admin in the administer projects permission.

When I log in as that user, i see the admin screen, and I see the one project, but it doesnt let me do anything with it.

And this is what I see when i log in as that user.

Some Screen Shots

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

No you don't need separate schemes, that is why roles are used. In the above case, are you not able to click on that project and administer it?

Click on the Avatar or name.

I can click on it, and it shows me the admin screen, but doesnt let me change anything

I am thinking, can I make a group a JIRA System Admin for their project only, and not just an admin

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

Can you attach a screenshot of that page and tell us what are you trying to change?

Ok I guess it is limited to what the person can change. Is there anyway to increase the admin rights. I need them to people add people to their usergroup or something like that. Need the admin to be able to manager what users can access their project.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

Yes, some things are limited. Like adding to users to groups. Only system admin can do that and you can't limit it to projects.

Time for plugins if you absolutely want that feature!

Any that already exists?

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

Hey,

I would grant the "administer projects" permission to the admin role. In project 1 you would select the group "admin project 1" into the role admin. In project 2 you can set up group "admin project 2" to represent the role admin...

Suggest an answer