Permission used by webhooks into JIRA

Isaac Mann June 24, 2017

We have a third party application that logs crashes from our software, and when it reaches a specified number it uses a webhook into JIRA to create a bug in the engineering project.

We want to restrict people outside the engineering team from lodging bugs directly (they have another mechanism).

What permissions does a webhook into JIRA require? I've currently got the Create Issues action as having JIRA Software application access, but this obviously also gives everyone permission to create issues.

The other alternative I tried to find (but couldn't) is to explicitly restrict groups...

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2017

> I've currently got the Create Issues action as having JIRA Software application access, but this obviously also gives everyone permission to create issues.

No, it doesn't.  You've got a permission scheme that does that, but you don't have to, you can change it to grant whatever access you want

>What permissions does a webhook into JIRA require?

Imagine the remote process is a user.  If you want a user to be able to do something, then you grant them the permission to do it.  The webhook follows the same rules.

Isaac Mann June 25, 2017

1. Yes, I know it's in a permission scheme. Yes, of course I can change it to reduce the scope. I didn't ask that question.

2. Yes, I know the concept. I am asking the question of what role do I grant the the permission to in the scheme. I don't see something that is identifiably an (incoming) webhook in the options, under Project Role, Application access or Group options when granting that permission, i.e.

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 7.53.19 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2017

I know you didn't ask, but your question was phrased in a way that suggested that you did not quite understand the permission schemes.

The role you grant to the webhook should be the role that gives it the permissions it needs in the project, which is determined by the permission scheme.  Imagine the webhook is a user.  What do you need to give a user to do what the webhook is doing?

Isaac Mann June 25, 2017

You think it needs a project role? I did look for it that - I expected it to show in the Users and Roles screen in Project settings under "ATLASSIAN-ADDONS-PROJECT-ACCESS" with other integrations.

I didn't add the other integrations to this role, and the webhook is not specified there either. I don't see how to add it to a role, either - it's not a user, and doesn't come up in the user search when looking to add a user to a role.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2017

Sorry, I'm being spectacularly unclear on this, so I'll try a different explanation

You have an application that has webhooks which it triggers when certain things happen in it.  One of these webhooks should post something into JIRA.

The webhook needs to log into JIRA in order to do this, and for that it needs an account. 

In order for it to create/update/etc issues, that account needs the rights to do that.

So, you need to read the permission scheme to see what permissions are needed and make sure the account(s) the webhook uses to do the action have the right permissions.  That could be because they are part of a group, or role, or they're the assignee etc.

Isaac Mann June 25, 2017

Thanks for specifying the full flow that you're expecting - the lightening struck my mind on your third paragraph, as I realised of course the account that the webhook uses was specified in the external app.

Thanks for your assistance Nic.

Suggest an answer