Permission schemes

kieranrepo September 29, 2017

Hi,

I have a group called Developers. They should have access to only one project & should not be able to see the others in JIRA at all.

I've added a permission scheme and assigned it to the project.

However, without also being assigned to Jira-Users, they cannot login to the tool.

I don't really understand how to restrict their permissions.

Can anyone help?

1 answer

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

The first thing you need to understand is JIRA works on a GRANT permission to projects, not RESTRICT permission.  With that in mind, the first thing you need to do to fix permission schemes is to REMOVE any of the logon privilege groups from them.  I really wish Atlassian didn't put them in the default permission scheme.  Best practices for security is to ONLY give access to those that need it and at most sites everyone that can logon don't need access to all projects. Then create a new permission scheme granting the appropriate rights to the users. I prefer project roles since the project lead can manage the users in the roles without needing to ask the JIRA admin to put people in groups.  In my experience the longer you use JIRA the more you'll want users to only have access to a limited number of projects and very few projects will need to be seen by all users. The earlier you drop the logon privilege group from the scheme the easier your life will be in the long run. 

kieranrepo September 29, 2017

Thanks for your answer - sorry to ask a stupid question, but what is the logon privelege

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

The name has changed depending on the release of JIRA. It is probably jira-users or jira-software-users. In the global permissions it will be listed as the group that can logon or use the application. By default whenever a new user is created they are added to that group. 

Suggest an answer