Permission problems with only certain issues within a project

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2013

I have a user that has reported they're getting a permission error response when attempting to search for a specific issue within a key project we use. When I, as an admin attempt the same thing, I get a slightly different error message that suggests I'm trying to do something for which I don't have permission ... again ... as an admin. I can get to plenty of other issues within this same project, but just not a handful of related issues ... and I'm stumped. I can't think of where to look next given the scenario ... if it were all issues in a specific project, then it would clearly point me to role/permission configuration issues ... but I'm puzzled and would appreciate any thoughts to point me in the right direction.

By the way, when attempting to use the admin tool 'permission helper' the application can't find a match to the issue numbers ... so that tool isn't providing any assistance.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2013

After all that, I've found the answer. The issue number that was reported as inaccessible was an old issue number from an active project that had since been moved to a different project and that project had a permission scheme applied that I use to completely hide a project from our users. The confusing part was the error response when using the old issue number. Since the old issue number is referenced in the issue's change history, it was finding that and then attempting to open the issue in the second project with it's new issue number and reporting THAT as inaccessible due to the permission scheme.

Thanks for taking a look and offering your suggestions.

Rajeswari Thangavel July 27, 2016

How can i find in which project that missing issue have been moved since i have nearly 800 projects in my instance.

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2013

A couple of things certainly don't look right here. Your logs should offer an explanation. It looks like https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Issue+can+not+be+opened+Error+When+Trying+to+Select+it+in+the+Issue+Navigator though. Please review that Knowledge base article it gives a possible cause, shows you how to verify and possibly fix the issue.

If that doesn't help, it may be something similar that has gone wrong, you may want to raise a support request at https://support.atlassian.com for Support Engineers to take a look at your complete logs.

Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2013

Ooops! I see you already solved it.

0 votes
Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2013

John,

Here are the two error messages being shown ... the first (with yellow background) is being seen by some users, and the second by others ... and it doesn't coincide with whether or not the user is an admin.

Oddly, the second image seems to indicate that issue 1212-29 can't be found ... but that's not the isse that was searched for ... not even close.

I'll take a look at the logs and see what I can find shortly.

Rick

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2013

Very quick idea to check - could you go to the project header, and check if there is a "security scheme" in place?

What you're seeing could be explained by this - a security scheme blocks access to selected issues within a project.

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2013

Nic, unfortunately no ... issue security is not enabled for this project.

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2013

Nic, I've updated the issue with screenshots of the two different error responses.

I don't believe the issues have been deleted ... but it's possible. What makes me doubtful is that I get a different message when I search for a known deleted message ... one that clearly indicates the issue doesn't exist ... whereas this one is speaking to permissions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2013

"Bother!", said Pooh, as his only idea was proven incorrect.

It was worth checking. John Bishop has the next set of questions to ask already though - what precisely are the error messages you and the users are getting? (I'm interigued that you get slightly different errors!)

Also, have you re-indexed recently? And could someone have deleted the issues you're looking for? Can anyone see them at all?

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2013

Ah ... and no .. no one can get to them and yes ... reindexing has been performed multiple times in the last couple of weeks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2013

Ok, well the indexing is good to rule it out, but the error messages unfortunately don't tell us that much - they're both kind of valid because the one you get depends

However, I do see you've got invalid issue keys. That's not good and could well be part of the problem.

0 votes
John Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2013

What are the error messages that you and the other user are receiving? Are there any other errors and stack traces in Jira's logs?

Suggest an answer