Permission Violation

Andre Esser September 14, 2014

When trying to access a particular issue I receive the following error:

Permission Violation
It seems that you have tried to perform an operation which you are not permitted to
perform.

This even happens when I'm logged in as a JIRA Administrator or if I enable everyone to see issues for the project in question. I can access other issues for the same project OK.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2014

Someone has set  security level on the issue that prevents you from seeing it.  (If you can see other issues, it must be a security level)

Remember that JIRA administrator just gives you admin rights. NOT the permissions on issues by default ("admin can see everything automatically" is an awful security model and one that is rightly eschewed by Jira)

Andre Esser September 14, 2014

Thanks Nic. How would I remove that issue's security level, ie. reset it to the project's default settings, if I don't know which user has re-configured it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2014

Once you can see it, you should find records in the history to tell you who did it. To get to it though, you need to go through the config. As an admin, you'll be able to see the project config - look for the security scheme. Read that to find out what the rules are for visibility. Then put yourself in the rules (it'll probably be something like "group = X", so add yourself to group X). Once you've done that, you'll be able to see the issue.

Andre Esser September 15, 2014

Thanks again Nic. The security scheme for this project has 8 security levels. I've added group 'jira-administrators' (of which I am a member) as well as myself as a single user to all of them. However I still get the error above when trying to see the issue in question.

Suggest an answer