Permanent Link to Comment URL

alchemistmatt August 19, 2013

We're using JIRA 6.0.5. When I click the icon that says "A permanent link to a comment" that's displayed to the upper right of every comment I see this behavior (on both Chrome and IE 10):

1) My browser follows the link, showing the issue and highlighting the comment

2) The URL shows the full link, but 200 msec later, the URL shortens to just show the issue ID.

In previous versions (I'm not sure how far back) when I clicked the icon that says "A permanent link to a comment" I could have sworn the behavior was different (and more useful), but I don't remember exactly what occured. Either some sort of new window would display showing the link, or the address bar would update to show the full URL and wouldn't auto-shorten it.

Is the current behavior the intended behavior? Do I just need to remember to right click the "A permanent link to a comment" icon and choose "Copy shortcut" when I want to paste that link into an e-mail?

Last question: I've found that I can shorten the URL to truncate it after "&page=" and the link still works just fine:

Why is that &page= stuff even included in the permanent URL?

Thanks.

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

The answer to your question:

Is the current behavior the intended behavior?

is: "This is now expected behaviour, because of some extensive changes to how our issue navigator works with urls. Right clicking the permalink icon and selecting "copy link url" or similar will get you the permalink."

As to be found in JRA-34998. In my opinion this is a valid workaround.

Cheers
Kai

2 votes
Michael Dockter January 13, 2020

I noticed that when visiting a link like:
https://xxxx.atlassian.net/browse/XXXX-16?oldIssueView=true

There are elipsis ("...") which give a permalink.

But when visiting a link like:
https://xxxx.atlassian.net/browse/XXXX-16

There seems to be no way to get a permalink.

1 vote
Bert Verhelst January 13, 2020

Often this is done by updating the url when the user clicks the date of the remark. But this doesn't work anymore in recent versions of jira.

This would be a nice feature to bring back.

alchemistmatt January 13, 2020

We're now on Jira 7.13 at my workplace.  Comments on issues now have three icons at the right:

• A chain
  • A pencil
  • A trashcan

Hovering your mouse over the chain, a tooltip appears saying "Right click and copy link for a permanent link to this comment.  Right clicking the chain, I get a link like this:

https://jira.pnnl.gov/jira/browse/OMCS-1497?focusedCommentId=79874&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-79874

Furthermore, left clicking the the chain now results in the the URL updating, giving something very similar (with the colon changed to %3A)

https://jira.pnnl.gov/jira/browse/OMCS-1497?focusedCommentId=80004&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-80004

0 votes
Kevin Bonds December 7, 2021

For anyone stumbling on this looking for a solution (as I was), you can right-click the timestamp, on the message in question, and copy that address. It has the message ID contained. It will link directly to that message and highlight it in grey. 

0 votes
Michael Dockter January 13, 2020

Agreed.  A permanent link to a comment is vital in communication.  

If a JIRA has 50 comments and no permanent link to a comment,  how does one tell another that it's the 37th comment that's being referenced?

Kevin Bonds December 7, 2021

For anyone stumbling on this looking for a solution (as I was), you can right-click the timestamp (not intuitive at all), on the message in question, and copy that address. It has the message ID contained. It will link directly to that message and highlight it in grey. 

0 votes
Julius September 12, 2014

Same here in JIRA (v6.1.1#6155-sha1:7188aee).

0 votes
Kai Gottschalk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2013

Same here (JIRA 6.0.5. as well). I assume this is a regression-bug, which was not present before (in JIRA 5.1.). I opened up JRA-34998 using major parts of your description.

Suggest an answer