Permanent Link to Comment URL

We're using JIRA 6.0.5. When I click the icon that says "A permanent link to a comment" that's displayed to the upper right of every comment I see this behavior (on both Chrome and IE 10):

1) My browser follows the link, showing the issue and highlighting the comment

2) The URL shows the full link, but 200 msec later, the URL shortens to just show the issue ID.

In previous versions (I'm not sure how far back) when I clicked the icon that says "A permanent link to a comment" I could have sworn the behavior was different (and more useful), but I don't remember exactly what occured. Either some sort of new window would display showing the link, or the address bar would update to show the full URL and wouldn't auto-shorten it.

Is the current behavior the intended behavior? Do I just need to remember to right click the "A permanent link to a comment" icon and choose "Copy shortcut" when I want to paste that link into an e-mail?

Last question: I've found that I can shorten the URL to truncate it after "&page=" and the link still works just fine:

Why is that &page= stuff even included in the permanent URL?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

The answer to your question:

Is the current behavior the intended behavior?

is: "This is now expected behaviour, because of some extensive changes to how our issue navigator works with urls. Right clicking the permalink icon and selecting "copy link url" or similar will get you the permalink."

As to be found in JRA-34998. In my opinion this is a valid workaround.

Cheers
Kai

Same here (JIRA 6.0.5. as well). I assume this is a regression-bug, which was not present before (in JIRA 5.1.). I opened up JRA-34998 using major parts of your description.

Same here in JIRA (v6.1.1#6155-sha1:7188aee).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,006 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot