Pasting text into fields causes strange characters

Eban Tomlinson May 20, 2015

When I paste 

‘Co-payments’

into a description field it displays as the following strange characters:

�Co-payments’

I'm guessing this is a unicode problem or something, but my search-fu fails me. Can anyone point me at something I've missed?

JIRA v6.4.3 is our current version.

1 answer

0 votes
Giuliano C_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2015

Depending on the collation/encoding used for your database, we will definitely face issues like that. For example, if you are using MySQL, we recommend the users to keep using the UTF-8 collation in order to avoid issues. 

We have some good suggestions for troubleshooting it and also verifying what you need through this JIRA KB article.

Hope it helps you, sir!

Regards, 

Giuliano Tenedini

Confluence/Crowd Support

Eban Tomlinson May 20, 2015

Thanks Giuliano, I think that you're probably right. Especially since I'm seeing a JIRA Entity Mismatch with Database Schema error when I run a logscan. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Entity+Mismatch+with+Database+Schema) I have a downtime window coming this Friday, which I'll look into this for. I'll mark this as answered once we've sorted it. Thanks!

Eban Tomlinson June 3, 2015

Boo, so the Schema mismatch wasn't the fix. We're still searching for why this might be happening.

Suggest an answer