Password Custom Field Type

Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2017

When a customer enters their password into a field, we would like the field to be a 'password' type field instead of a regular text field. For example, it would display privacy dots instead of the text, to help keep their password secure if someone is looking over their shoulder. Is there a custom field type or an add-on for this?

Like this:

password.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

Hi Tiffany,  Sorry, I don't have a real answser here for you, but I'm curious:  Why are your users typing passwords into JIRA?  This seems like a huge security issue, but maybe you have a great use case I haven't considered?  :)  This data would be open to anyone who can see the issue, see the issue's history, view issues in the database, etc.

I don't know of a plugin but maybe you could leverage the hidden fields function in the Scriptrunner for JIRA plugin?  More on that here: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/behaviours-overview.html#_hidden_fields

I'm interested to hear back from you and hear thoughts from other members of this community.

Tiffany Owen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2017

Hi Rachel. Thanks for the response. We are a technology department and often times customers report issues with their various accounts that need support directly from us. Therefore they have to provide us with their password to troubleshoot their account. Our current system allows them to enter their password into the fields and it is visible to the agents on our ends, and encrypted in the database. I would like to accomplish this in JIRA somehow as it is a major concept in order for us to switch over to JIRA. Just need some insight on how to jumpstart this. Thanks for the answer - I will take a look at Scriptrunner!

Suggest an answer