Owners of Sub tasks in the backlog/sprints

Deleted user November 15, 2017

hello,

I want to use Jira where by i have a ticket and then i have sub tasks for the design, dev and then testing for each story.  I use quick filters to highlight the members on the team and what they are working on. Generally i want the developer to be assigned the parent ticket and that not to change (just the status of the ticket changes). The testing part in the sub ticket will certainly have a different owner though. However, if i want a granular view of what everyone is working on how can I do that given i seem to be able to only report on parent level on the ticket? Under my current way of wanting to do it, i would have no visibility of the tester and what they have in their sprint? Please help!

Thanks

Andrew

4 answers

0 votes
Irka Bek June 25, 2019

Hi,

I think I found a way to filter in backlog view  according to sub-task assignee, I've used:  or issueFunction in parentsOf("assignee = IRINA") and saw dev stories in backlog view where IRINA is an assignee of a sub-task and not necessarily assignee of the dev story.

Hope is helps

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2017

Hi Andrew

I'm afraid that your second image is still the backlog; it is showing the sprint, but in the backlog view, not the board view. I know this because of the 2w, 1w 3d 0 in the top right hand corner.

The way that you're implementing Scrum is wrong, which is why you're having this problem. Prior to (and even during) Sprint planning, you should not have stories or sub-tasks assigned to individuals. The assigning of tasks should only happen once the sprint has started, which is why Jira doesn't show sub-tasks in the backlog view. This is why you've asked this question in the first place and it cannot be resolved with your process

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2017

Hi Andrew

The images you're showing here are of the Backlog, not the active sprint. The backlog never shows sub-tasks, regardless of whether you're filtering or not. The only way you can get a view of all parents and sub-tasks is to look at the active sprint board, which is why it isn't working for you

Deleted user November 16, 2017

Hi warren,

Look carefully at the second image - not the backlog.

Thanks,

Andrew

The point is I am doing this work before the sprint has started. I am planning with the team - so I cannot look at the active sprint tab because the sprint hasn't started yet. I am trying to understand everything everyone has before the sprint has started (which means all tasks including subtasks) so i can properly plan - thats the point. 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2017

The backlog doesn't show subtasks, that's the point.

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2017

You can change what information is displayed in the backlog through the board configuration:

select your project -> backlog in the left pannel -> click on board (top right) and select configure in the dropdown ->card layout in left pannel -> add the fields you want to be displayed in the backlog and the board view

Is this what you were asking?

Hi, yes I know how to do that bit, but its the assignee view which is still incorrect. If i create a "quick button" showing the "assignee = x" it will only show the parent tasks owned by that person. It will not show the child accounts related to to that person, and therefore i do not have full visibility with what that person has assigned in the sprint. 

So for each task, i want to have a sub-task for "peer review", "Testing" "Design" and "Dev" I cannot find a way of seeing all sub tasks and parent tasks assigned to one person. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2017

Let's see if I understood it.

You have a Task assigned to "John Doe" and some subtasks for assigned to other persons. When you use a filter to see issues assigned to "John Doe" you only are getting results for the parent task and you want that all of the subtasks also appear in the filter.

Is it right?

Kind of. I want Filter on "john Doe" and i want to see the parent tasks and the subtasks belonging to "John Doe" to accurately understand John Doe's time in a sprint. The reason being Joe Doe may have 2 hours of peer review of a task to be completed by Joe Bloggs. I need to account and see this in the sprint planning.

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2017

Hi Andrew

If you're wanting this info for the sprint, why are you looking in the Backlog as opposed to the Active Sprint? The Active Sprint should easily show you all tasks and sub-tasks using a Quick filter

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2017

But there must be something I don't fully understand... If you want that all the parent and child issues that are assigned to John Doe it could as simple as "assignee = John Doe" in JQL and some conditions as status, issue type etc...

So, you need all the tasks and subtasks of John Doe to appear, what are all the conditions?

I am looking at the active sprint/ the upcoming sprint. What is the query you suggest on the quick filter? at the moment i do "assignee = x" and that only brings back tasks at parent level. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2017

If the filter "assignee = x" do not show you child issues then the assignee in the subtasks is not "x" but another person "y" or "z".

I don't know any out of the box solution. You can use add-ons as you can see in other posts:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions/Select-issues-for-a-particular-user-with-all-sub-tasks/qaq-p/416813

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Query-that-shows-all-subtasks-for-stories-assigned-to-a-user/qaq-p/482846

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2017

Okay, let's backtrack a bit.

Without filtering at all, what does your Active board look like? I'm guessing that it should show parent tasks in various columns, some having sub-tasks below it, like this screenshot

Picture0001.jpg

where all the cards with purple are sub-tasks.

If that's the case, then using a quick filter of assignee = x should keep that layout, but remove items which aren't assigned.

Please let us know if your starting point (unfiltered) is similar to mine above, preferably with a screenshot. Then ideally another screenshot once it's been filtered

Jira.PNGYeah i dont have that view. I have this one. 

jira2.PNGHere I have filtered on Terry. I know that Terry has more tasks that this but they are sub tasks so i dont that that view of everything terry has to do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events