Overwrite ADMIN user by restoring data from xml-file

Verena Alberg February 19, 2013

Hi,

after restore an xml-file (Jira export) I can t login with the user, which was ADMIN before the import.

I know the name and the password of the ADMIN and now I need a possibility to activate it again.

The installation is a the free Jira download 5.0.6.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with this subject, so I would be grateful for a simple solution.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2013

If you didn't have the ADMIN account on the backup, or it didn't have the same configuration for external user directories (if you have any), then your ADMIN account is lost.

This https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator will show you how you can get administrator permissions back.

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2013

I believe JIRA has automatic backup enabled by default, so there's a good chance you have backups from before the restore. Look for them in your <JIRA_HOME>/export folder. If you have any, you can copy one to the import folder and restore the data from it.

Unfortunately, I don t know how to manage this solution.

Would it be also possible to use the setup wizard like: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Restarting+JIRA+from+the+Setup+Wizard

or just to make a new download with the same license key?

If it would be possible to get database back like before the xml-restore. I could first backup and then restore again.

Thanks for your help.

I found a backup (2013-Feb-19--0812.zip), but is there any possibility to restore it without AMIN access?

After the restore I m just a simple user in the Jira database.

Thanks a lot, I'm afraid it went wrong.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2013

If you want to revert to that backup, and you don't have admin in the current system, then you have two options:

1. As Florin said, reset the password by following the options in the document given. (But then you probably don't need to restore)

2. Stop Jira, drop all the tables in the database it's using, and restart it. Without it's users and so-on, it will think "Oh I'm new" and offer you a baseline setup or the option to import (even if you go with baseline, you'll at least have an admin account)

However, I'd strongly recommend NOT trying option 2 yet. Could you tell us why you are unable to reset the admin password as per the documentation Florin pointed you at? That's a far better solution

The problem is, I don t know how to follow the instructions:

"To find out which group(s) have been granted the JIRA Administrators global permission, run the following database query".

I never worked with databases and I don t know how open it or to start a query.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2014

I'm afraid the answer there is that you need to learn. The method varies by database, so start with the documentation for the database you're using.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2014

That's the problem - they can NOT get in as an admin, so they can't do this.

0 votes
swetha v December 19, 2014

-Login into existing jira and create a new user with administrator permissions

- take a xml backup of the data

-keep the xml backup file on new JIRA server in import directory.

- install and access new jira through web browser, create a default admin account in setup wizard, 

- restore the backup file giving the path of xml backup file

- now, you cannot login with the default admin account because the old data gets wiped off after restore. so now login with the user account which you created in jira before taking the backup on old jira server.

Suggest an answer