Outlook rules for @mentions so they are treated differently than other notifications

Damon Gaylor January 17, 2013

Hi,

We have minimal notifications turned on in our instance of JIRA/Confluence OnDemand system. Even with the limited notifications, our developers have Outlook rules to move the notification emails into other folders. I'm trying to find a way to differentiate the emails so they give @mentions a higher priority than the standard notifications.

I don't see any differences in the email content that would allow for that and thought maybe someone has already solved this type of an issue.

Thank you,

Damon

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2013

Creating a rule that looks at "mentioned you" will only filter out issues in which you are being mentioned, and are not yet watching. When you get mentioned in an issue where you are already watching, the notification scheme takes priority over the mention itself, and the mention will only get send out as if it is a normal comment (to prevent duplicate notifications).

Creating a rule that checks the body of the mail for the url which points towards your profile on the instance will circumvent this, though more filtering will have to be performed there in order to prevent other mails in which this link will show up (ie in the assignee or reporter field) from leaking through the filter. Perhaps ignoring mails in which the url shows up, and is preceded by "Changed by:" and "Assignee:" will already filter out a bunch of them, though there might be more you need to look at.

Mick,

Thank you for your detailed answer. This helps to understand why I didn't see a difference in the @mention notification sometimes. I'll spend some time with your answer and hopefully share my final resolution.

1 vote
Filipe Guerra December 4, 2013

This is a dupe of https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/89333/email-sent-by-jira-on-a-mention-does-not-include-text-mentioned-if-the-issue-is-assigned-to-me?page=1#240174

It seems that there is a lot of discussion around this.

The solution @renjith gave won't work at least for me. I have filters like:

Matches: from:(jira@sugarcrm.atlassian.net) subject:("mentioned you")
Do this: Never send it to Spam, Mark it as important, Categorize as Forums

Matches: from:(jira@sugarcrm.atlassian.net) subject:(-"mentioned you" AND -"SC-" AND -"Sanity")
Do this: Skip Inbox, Mark as read, Apply label "Dev/JIRA", Delete it, Never send it to Spam, Never mark it as important, Categorize as Forums

Basically I throw everything that I don't care even if I'm watching it to the trash, because I don't have a way to filter the emails that I'm watching.

I don't manage JIRA so I receive a lot of crap that I don't want/need (e.g.: new issues created on projects that I don't follow, neither care or comment). I don't want to be always deleting them so I have that rule.

It would be nice to make use of CC and TO fields on the email to put something like mentioned or watching in the TO field and everything else (subscriptions) in the CC field (that is why CC exists on emails - to be aware but not directly to you). Usage of BCC would also make sense in some cases probably...

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2013

Why not use an Outlook rule that sets the priority of the email if the subject contains "mentioned you" ?

Renjith, that is what I though I could do, but per Mick, the problem is that this person may be a watcher so the other notifcation type takes piority. Thanks for you comment.

Suggest an answer