Outgoing gmail.smtp

Manikanta Chinthapally June 28, 2018

Hi All,

I've installed jira 7.10 software and i try to configure smtp mail server, when i tested the connection was successful but when i am trying to send test email it showing the following error.

Any help?

Thanks,

Manikanta

An error has occurred with sending the test email:
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 97-v6sm4100807oth.15 - gsmtp

at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.sendWithMessageId(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:225)
at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:162)
at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.mail.webwork.SendTestMail.doExecute(SendTestMail.java:107)
at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:165)
at com.atlassian.jira.action.JiraActionSupport.execute(JiraActionSupport.java:63)
at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:39)
at webwork.interceptor.NestedInterceptorChain.proceed(NestedInterceptorChain.java:31)
at webwork.interceptor.ChainedInterceptor.intercept(ChainedInterceptor.java:16)
at webwork.interceptor.DefaultInterceptorChain.proceed(DefaultInterceptorChain.java:35)
at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:225)
at webwork.dispatcher.GenericDispatcher.executeAction(GenericDispatcher.java:154)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.dispatcher.JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.service(JiraWebworkActionDispatcher.java:138)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:230)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:192)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:165)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraLastFilter.lambda$doFilter$0(JiraLastFilter.java:39)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.steps.ChainedFilterStepRunner.doFilter(ChainedFilterStepRunner.java:74)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.JiraLastFilter.doFilter(JiraLastFilter.java:36)
at  

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2018

Hi, Manikata.

A quick search on the exception that you are seeing in the log shows the following KB:

Can we start troubleshooting the issue first by enabling the TLS option as suggested in the article before we dig deeper into this issue?

Manikanta Chinthapally June 29, 2018

Hi Ahmad,

Thanks for reply.

Updated the resource section with the mail.smtp.starttls.enable no luck it shows same error.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2018

Hi, Manikata.

You are welcome. Can you confirm where and how did you update the mail.smtp.starttls.enable parameter? If you can provide a screen shot, that will be great.

After updating the resource section, can you please confirm if the option is also switched on through the web interface as well?

Like galaxydev likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

There's a checkbox for Use TLS when configuring the outgoing mail server in Jira 8.5.4.

ivan.leon@paxfacturacion.com July 19, 2021

hi Team.

Someone has been able to solve the error, I have the same problem, SSL is enabled and it marks an error in the communication

Thanks

Best Reagrds

Suggest an answer