Our service desk is gone

Claes Johansson October 12, 2015

Our site has been upgraded to JIRA Software where we previously had both Agile and Service Desk.

Now we only have Agile, what happened to Service Desk ? 

It's listed in the overview in "Application Access"...

2 answers

0 votes
Uttam Padukone October 12, 2015

Question:  How do I create a Service Desk Request to create a new project?

On our installation, requests to create a new project were made in Service Desk as a Service Desk Request.

0 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2015

Hi Claes,

Service Desk is available on your instance, however the menu "Service Desk" that used to be on the top is now deprecated. When you open a project that has Service Desk enabled, you'll see on the left menu some of the options you used to have on the old view (like Customers, Queues, Customer Portal), as well as when you open the project's administration you'll find the settings (SLAs, Request Types, Request Security...).

When you go to Projects (on the top menu) > Service Desk, all projects that has Service Desk enabled are shown.

You can take a look on this video so you can have a quick overview.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

Michael McClellan October 13, 2015

This makes ZERO sense in terms of ease of use for employees within our organization. Instead of having a dropdown and one click to the portal to enter in a request, they now have to navigate to a project (that most don't have permissions to view and only create) and then try and create a ticket from there. Being able to keep the service desk shortcut in the top nav bar should have been an option when considering this breakout of products.

sanjay sahuu January 8, 2016

I agree with this comment, service desk is for the users to create a ticket easily, now we have to train the user, and many feel uncomfortable. And the downside of this is, why do i need to buy again service desk, i can create a project with service desk workflows\screens in Jira software and ask the users to use that.

Deleted user April 6, 2016

Agree with these complaints - losing the ability to quickly navigate to either create a new service desk request, or as an agent in multiple desks quickly flip between queues is a huge productivity loss. This was poorly implemented.

Pinger Atlassian August 21, 2016

Agreed.  this functionality needs to return.  I've got 200 employees screaming at me that service desk is missing.  now they have to go looking for it.  Very poor decision.  I have a feeling were looking for another solution.  Upgrades are supposed to add features/functionality, not hide or remove them.  

Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2016

Is there no workaround or option for this at this point?  I have 2000+ business users used to this behavior.

Michael McClellan September 19, 2016

The workaround I implemented was to put a flash announcement at the top of JIRA for logged in users that instructs users of the change and links directly to the portal. I also configured the list of links in the upper left-hand corner "hamburger" dropdown to include a direct link to the portal. Hope this helps.

I'm still baffled that Atlassian thinks this is an acceptable feature deprecation. Aren't they supposed to support system integration to improve the user experience?

Reza Khosravi December 28, 2016

This is the most stupid enhancement that I have ever seen in Software Industry! WHY?!!!

Novum Bank Limited March 27, 2017

The depreciation of Service Desk from the header is a very short sighted decision from Atlassian.

Updates are meant to improve user experience, not add obstacles and complicate processes that have been established and working fine since the beginning.

Why is it that every software company that has a great well established application, tries to improve it by taking out the features that made it great in the first place? This is something I never understand.

Reminds me of Backup Exec...

Suggest an answer